none
Customizing PowerShell's command line output. RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to to PowerShell, but there is one thing that is frustrating 

Is there anyway to tell PowerShell to default to paging output at the command line all the time?

I have come across the 'Out-Host' and 'Out-Default' Cmdlets, and I read talk of a '.profile' file like you woulds have in UNIX, but I cannot seem to make to sense how you would tell the command line to page output all the time.

It is annoying,  because anytime I run a 'help' cmdlet, the idea of having to type '| Out-Host -Paging' or an alias for that seems overkill.

Is there anyway, I can tell Powershell to do this by default?

Stan

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• By default, PowerShell sends the output to Out-Host cmdlet. AFAIK, There is no default paging. However, when browing cmdlet help, instead of using Out-Host -Paging, you can simply use help.

For example, help Get-Command is equal to Get-Help Get-Command | Out-Host -Paging. This is a built in feature.

I think we can create a proxy function for Out-Host and put it in the profile to enable paging by default.

Ravikanth
    http://www.ravichaganti.com/blog
    Twitter: @ravikanth
    PowerShell 2.0 remoting - eBook
    Friday, May 14, 2010 6:02 PM
  • That would be a really nice feature, because computers displays are much too fast these days to use the old "Scroll Lock" key like back in DOS days. :-)

Still is there anything I can do to set the Out-Host to default  to paging all the time?

Just curious

Stan

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:24 PM