none
FIM 2010 R2 & GALSync? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the past, it was recommended (and I think required) that GALSync run on its own instance of MIIS/ILM/FIM.

I have experienced and seen posts where GALSync MA and FIM MA have issues coexisting on the same server - so is it still required that GALSync have its own instance of FIM 2010 R2 Sync?

Thanks,

SK

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:32 AM

Answers

• SK,

YOu could have GALSYNC and non-GALSYNC solution(any solution with FIM MA would be non-GALSYNC solution) on same box in R2 as well as non-R2 but there needs to be some changes. One thing I do when configuring this is to modify the GALYSNC code so that the provisioning only applies to actual person objects in the MV.

I then try to use different object type for non-galsync solution, I create object called UDO (user defined object) in the MV designer by copying the person object type. Of course, if you are doing this you might have to make some changes to code(if any) being used for non-galsync solution and change your object mapping type in FIM MA so that it uses something like

UDO->Person

for person type instead of

person->person

Hope this helps..................

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:50 AM
  • SK,

Yes, you would need to monitor this. If you modified the file that ultimately becomes galsync.dll, then future updates might stomp over this file with new version. You could get around this by changing name of galsync DLL to something like GALSYNC_MOD.dll, then configuring both MV and MA extensions to use this instead.........................

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:07 AM

All replies

• SK,

YOu could have GALSYNC and non-GALSYNC solution(any solution with FIM MA would be non-GALSYNC solution) on same box in R2 as well as non-R2 but there needs to be some changes. One thing I do when configuring this is to modify the GALYSNC code so that the provisioning only applies to actual person objects in the MV.

I then try to use different object type for non-galsync solution, I create object called UDO (user defined object) in the MV designer by copying the person object type. Of course, if you are doing this you might have to make some changes to code(if any) being used for non-galsync solution and change your object mapping type in FIM MA so that it uses something like

UDO->Person

for person type instead of

person->person

Hope this helps..................

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:50 AM
  • Thank you Glenn, the obvious issue in modifying the GALSync code is that future updates (hotfixes/service packs) to FIM might have a potential impact on GALSync itself?

• Edited by Shim Kwan Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:03 AM
  • SK,

Yes, you would need to monitor this. If you modified the file that ultimately becomes galsync.dll, then future updates might stomp over this file with new version. You could get around this by changing name of galsync DLL to something like GALSYNC_MOD.dll, then configuring both MV and MA extensions to use this instead.........................

• Marked as answer by Shim Kwan Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:07 AM
  • thank you, appreciate your quick responses.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:19 AM
  • Final update,

We tried creating a different Person object class for GALSync, but the FIM MA still gave us errors as it didnt know how to handle EREs, DREs, etc

We looked at the GALSync code, to try make it ignore EREs, DREs, etc - but that failed too.

In the end, we are deploying a separate FIM server just for GALSync.

Would be nice if Microsoft, in some future update, fixed the GALSync MA and FIM MA co-existence issues.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:36 PM
  • Hello

i have a question hope you can help

if i wana do GALSync between two forests...but one of the forests doesnt have exchange on premises

i wana do a sync for non mail-enabled users....

if i sync a non mail-enabled users..i get a filter disconnector and the user is not synced to the metverse

any advice?

thank you

Monday, September 26, 2016 7:42 PM