Update LCM Settings on a Client Configured to a Pull Server RRS feed

• Question

• Just starting out playing around with DSC in our environment (I've been coding in C# and PowerShell for years)

I've setup a Server 2016 VM running an SSL DSC Pull Web Service

I've successfully created a LocalConfigurationManager script and a simple test configuration to make a folder and a file. I've gone through the process of mofing, checksuming, and pushing the meta.mof to the target systems which all happily picked it up and grabbed the test configuration I had created.

Then it dawned on me in all the documentation I had read through all the training videos, etc not once did I see how to update the settings for the LCM AFTER a client is pulling information from a pull server.

I'm not just talking a manual change that I can do no problem I'm talking about things like deciding to change the RefreshFrequencyMins for ALL the connected clients. Or maybe splitting the Pull and Reporting Web Services between two servers.

Is It possible? Can you effectively update the settings of the LCM on a client that is already tied to a pull server?

I tried what I thought would work from naming the meta.mof files after the named configuration of my actual test configuration, and by the name of the clients in questions but nothing seemed to work.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:35 AM

All replies

• In a pull configuration the client is independent and has total control over the pull.  That is the meaning of "pull"  It means client initiated.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:40 AM
  • In a pull configuration the client is independent and has total control over the pull.  That is the meaning of "pull"  It means client initiated.

\_(ツ)_/

Ok forgive my ignorance I've only been seriously digging into DSC for about a week.

It seems to me your statement is a little confusing to what i'm understanding about push vs pull.

Pull (if I'm understanding correctly) is useful when we have a lot of systems (I do) that ALL need the same or close to the same configurations (They do) and we don't want to have to run Start-DscConfiguration on EVERY system EVERY time we want to change something. So we push the LCM config to the clients and they happily lap up whatever configuration is presented to them leaving us free to update configurations in ONE place.

That seems to be fundamentally the opposite of the client being independent, that sounds very much like the client is dependent on the pull server for its configuration.

After working a LONG time in setting up environments that manage resources be it MDT, SCCM, or DSC that despite all the best attempts eventually things change that necessitate changing the way you have configured it at first. It seems REALLY strange there wouldn't be a way once you have a client looking at a pull server to send it a new LCM configuration.

I can't possibly be the only one who's wondered this. I'm lucky enough to only have 1000+ systems to worry about and thankfully a modest 30+ system pilot project, but how would for instance someone managing say 10,000+ clients that were initially setup to use an HTTP Pull Web Service change all of those systems to now use an HTTPS Pull Web Service?

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:05 AM
  • Well ... yes and no.  The LCSM is configured for the client.  The server tells the client that it needs to "pull" certain updates.  The "pull" cycle is defined on the client.

Look at all of the LCM configuration parameters to see which effect "pull" and which "push".

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:09 AM
  • Well ... yes and no.  The LCSM is configured for the client.  The server tells the client that it needs to "pull" certain updates.  The "pull" cycle is defined on the client.

Look at all of the LCM configuration parameters to see which effect "pull" and which "push".

\_(ツ)_/

I understand which of the parameters affects the pull vs push configuration i'm just really surprised there is no way to update those parameters via a pull.

I guess I could write a windows service to periodically check for a new version of the meta.mof and call Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager or maybe a startup script, or push out a script to make the change with SCCM

I was just hoping there would be a way to do it with JUST DSC and not have to make some convoluted work around or involve a whole new tool

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:41 AM
  • I understand what you are trying to do.  Unfortunately "Pull" is client side and works like a subscription.  I suspect there is a way t "push: an LCM configuration,

Try posting in other forums specific to DSC to see what others have found.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Try here: https://powershell.org/forums/forum/dsc-desired-state-configuration/

Some useful thoughts: https://www.petri.com/managing-cross-node-dependencies-desired-state-configuration

\_(ツ)_/

Thanks for the article! even if it's not 100% what I want at this point ANYTHING i can learn is helpful

As for powershell.org I also posted that question over there when i posted this one. Thought i'd try the question a few places and see what kinds of response i got.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Post back if you find something interesting.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:42 AM

\_(ツ)_/

absolutely i will

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:43 AM

\_(ツ)_/

So not a solution but I DID find out that what I want to do USED to work (my fault for jumping RIGHT to using DSC on Powershell 5.1)

DSC Pull Meta Configuration

Would be nice if anyone interested went and added a like or commented on the bug/feature request

• Edited by TofuBug Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:43 AM