Why does my text shring when I change the size of the document window? RRS feed

• Question

• What use can shrinking text possibly be?
    Is it some sort of "feature"?
    Can I put it back to normal?
    Can a normal mode be the default so I don't have to go through all the mouse calisthenics to get Word to work for me?

Everything I know I learned from my cat. No matter what the situation is, there is a napp for that.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:00 PM

Answers

• When you say the text shrinks when you change the size of the window, do you mean in terms of making the window smaller / zooming out from the page so that for instance you can see more of the "page" that you're working on?

If so then that's by design and is how it's always been. The view you see in Word is designed to represent what would appear on the page if you printed it, so relative to the page the text remains the same size. If you change the page so that you can see more of it, eg effectively zooming out, then the size of the text must shrink. It's no different to holding a physical document in front of you, if you move the paper further away from you so the page looks smaller, the text will as well.

On the other hand if you mean when you make the window smaller, eg displaying less of the grey space on either side, that the page and text shrink then I don't know what you mean. Which version of Word are you using? I've tried with Word documents in Word 2010 and Word 2013, and in both cases simply changing the size of the document window does nothing to the view of the document (other than make it impossible to read all the test on a line without scrolling if I go too far.

• Marked as answer by George123345 Friday, February 7, 2014 1:35 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:36 PM