none
BHOLD User Manuals RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've located the BHOLD documents on TechNet at this location: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134096

There doesn't appear to be a user guide however which strikes me as odd.

Does anyone know if one exists and if so, where to access it?

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:25 AM

All replies

• Ok, so now I understand what MS meant when they announced they had "acquired technology assets from BHOLD" == No doco!

Can anyone provide a time-frame for user documentation for this product?

Matthew

Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Hi Matt,

There are many docs in the libraries on Technet. Just go to the library and search on BHOLD.

Have a look around and let me know when you are missing any.

Kind regards,

Geurt

Monday, September 17, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Direction to any user manuals would be appreciated. 

Specifically, right now I am looking for the doco that describes the following:

• CRUD of roles, applications & permissions in Core
    • Creation & Configuration of MA for connecting to BHOLD DBs.
    • How to populate BHOLD model generator with data through MAs rather than files.
    • Self Service - How is the New request supposed to function? It doesn't appear to work on my install at least.
    • Attestation - User Manual
    • Stewards - Why does this accept free text? What should I put in this field?
    • Silverlight versions recommended (I get many errors in the interface)
    • Permission context params, Context formulas, Permission context attachments?  Where is this documented?

It would be great to see a BHOLD dotpoint added to documentation roadmap to provide an end to end story.

I feel as though I'm stumbling around in the dark with this app, and I know I am not the only one!  Shed some light please?

Matthew

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:38 AM
  • I very much agree with Matthew and feel pretty much the same way about the stumbling. There is only very limited documentation for the BHOLD Suite online and it simple not enough to make you master the product as you must to go into production with it.

Basically, we lack documentation for all of the products within the BHOLD Suite.

We have set up a very simple system that enables users to request permission, approvers to accept and get the permissions out to the connected systems, but we are still facing issues and problems due to the lack of information regarding the software. I cannot say if some of the issues we discover are fixable in the software configuration or if they are flaws in the BHOLD Suite. Currently, we are dealing with the current issues/challenges:

• BHOLD Core: Which role types exist and what do they mean.
    • BHOLD Core: How to set limitation for a line role approver to make him an candidate for approval of only a limited number of roles.
    • BHOLD Core: Which set of roles to give to stewards, attestation campaign owner, analysts, BHOLD Self Service users/admins etc.
    • BHOLD Core: Why does the help doc not show? You are always redirected back to the main page.
    • BHOLD Mode Generator: How to populate BHOLD model generator with data through MAs rather than files.
    • BHOLD Self Service: How to fix BHOLD self service within FIM Portal. Most data controls do not show the expected data that is present in the B1 database. (Nothing is shown in “Top 10 users in your responsibility” (for administrators), “Role Information”, and “My Requests” and “My Roles” for non-administrators.)
    • BHOLD Attestation: How to undo the decline of a permission in attestation.
    • BHOLD Attestation: How to set roles automatically requestable in BHOLD Self Service efter a decline by a steward.
    • BHOLD Attestation: How to get the email functionalitety to work. We consequently get an error that doesn't tell much.

We haven't looked deeply into BHOLD Analytics or BHOLD Model Generator yet.

Anyhow, I expect Microsoft to release documentation for the BHOLD Suite really soon. Hopefully this is not just wishful thinking. :-)

best regards
    Søren Aamand

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:39 AM
  • The quality of the documentation is low. Especially the architecture options. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134107(v=ws.10).aspx

e.g. "..Note that if end-user self-service is required, the BHOLD FIM Integration module must be installed on the same server as the FIM Service and Portal. .."

So .. if your ideal FIM topology is to separate FIM Portal and FIM Service onto separate servers, is this BHOLD guide saying that won't work for BHOLD? And what if you have multiple instances of FIM service and FIM portal for high availability and scalability? Can BHOLD scale in the same manner? No mention is made about scaling BHOLD. 

Some more confusing advice in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134095(v=ws.10).aspx

Note
    Because BHOLD Core requires .NET 3.5, it cannot be installed on Server Core.

"

What is meant by "Server Core"? 

It also talks about "Silverlight 4" as a pre-requisite on the server side. Should it had said instead " Silverlight 4 or later"? Or will it have problems with Silverlight 5? 

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:54 AM
  • On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 03:54:18 +0000, davot wrote:

"?NoteBecause BHOLD Core requires .NET 3.5, it cannot be installed on Server Core.

"

What is meant by "Server Core"?

The versions of Windows Server that don't install a GUI.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Terminal:  What most people have to be before consenting to see a doctor.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:01 PM
  • I know there isn't that much there, but my blog has some basic info on setting up BHOLD and FIM

www.davenesbitt.com/dim

Cheers,

Dave

Dave Nesbitt | Architect | Oxford Computer Group

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I've read all of your posts and your blog is the best BHOLD resource I've managed to find thus far. 

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Matt

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:07 AM