none
Import CSV into AD RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Folks - Happy New Year!  My boss has me working on a project to import a few attributes into AD for all of our employees. They are Department, Manager, Email and Title.  I started piecing together a script of the net (because I don't know powershell that well) and then he informed me he wanted a log file to spit out what, if anything was already in AD and then show what it was changing it to.  And I managed to get there... to an extent. 

# Import AD Module             
    Import-Module ActiveDirectory            

write-Host 'Starting to update AD Attributes.......' -ForegroundColor White            
    # Import CSV into variable $users           

$users = Import-Csv -Path C:\Scripts\Powershell\users.csv
    foreach ($user in $users) 
    {   
        Write-Host $user
        $output = ''
        $u = Get-ADUser -Filter "displayName -eq '$($user.name)'"  -Properties * -SearchBase "DC=------,DC=---" 

$output = "Found $($u.name) at $($u.sAMAccountName)`r`n" `
                + "Email Address: $($u.mail) --> $($user.emailaddress)`r`n" `
                + "Title: $($u.title) --> $($user.Title)`r`n" `
                + "Department: $($u.department) --> $($user.department)`r`n" `
                + "Manager: $($u.manager) --> $($user.manager)`r`n"

Set-ADUser -EmailAddress $($user.EmailAddress) -title $($user.title) -department $($user.department) -manager $($user.manager)   #Comment out to test log only

$output | Out-File -FilePath "log.txt" -Append
    }

Write-Host 'done!' -ForegroundColor Green

When I run my script, I get asked for an identity but I want it to be reading the display name off of the CSV file. If I comment out the Set-User line (to do a log only test) it works fine. I am not yet able to attach pictures (I had a screen shot of my CSV) but the headings for my CSV file are as follows: name, emailaddress, title, department, manager

If I could get finished with this project I would have time to do the powershell training I so despartely need.

Thanks all,

Tom

Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:11 PM

Answers

• Because you need to supply an identity or a user object which you are not doing.  Set-AdUser requires an identity.

$u | Set-AdUser ....

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Tom Skubel Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:28 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:30 PM

All replies

• What is the question?  If you are getting an error please post the complete error message.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:16 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:15 PM
  • Sorry about that.  The question is why when I run this script am I getting asked for an identity? and what value does it want?    This is the output I get when I run the script:

PS C:\Scripts\PowerShell> C:\Scripts\PowerShell\UpdateADattrib.ps1
    Starting to update AD Attributes.......
    @{name=Buzz Lightyear; emailaddress=W; title=X; department=Z; manager=TMCGEE}
    cmdlet Set-ADUser at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Identity: 

Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:01 PM
  • Because you need to supply an identity or a user object which you are not doing.  Set-AdUser requires an identity.

$u | Set-AdUser ....

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Tom Skubel Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:28 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:30 PM
  • Thank you very much!
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:28 PM
  • You are welcome.  Have a great new year.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:27 PM