none
Roaming Profiles\Folder Redirection with Users from Parent Domain and Servers\Workstations in Child Domain

Question

• Hello all,

I am following the Technet guide here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649078(v=ws.11).aspx

I have a domain, lets say ABC.local, where my user accounts live. I also have a child domain, XYZ.ABC.local, where the computer accounts and file server exist.  I only have permissions to manage xyz.abc.local.

I would like to configure Roaming Profiles with Folder redirection for these ABC users using these computers XYZ computers. Is this possible?

Thursday, January 05, 2017 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    In my opinion, you could have a try the following two methods:
    1. Organize the users who use the computers of child domain into one OU, and then create GPO and apply it to this OU;
    2. Use loopback mode: This policy directs the system to apply the set of Group Policy objects for the computer to any user who logs on to a computer affected by this policy. It is intended for special-use computers. By default, the user's Group Policy objects determine which user policies apply. If this policy is enabled, then, when a user logs on to this computer, the computer's Group Policy objects determine which set of Group Policy objects applies. Please see details from: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2013/02/08/circle-back-to-loopback/
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Chrismo16 Friday, January 06, 2017 3:45 PM
    Friday, January 06, 2017 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    In my opinion, you could have a try the following two methods:
    1. Organize the users who use the computers of child domain into one OU, and then create GPO and apply it to this OU;
    2. Use loopback mode: This policy directs the system to apply the set of Group Policy objects for the computer to any user who logs on to a computer affected by this policy. It is intended for special-use computers. By default, the user's Group Policy objects determine which user policies apply. If this policy is enabled, then, when a user logs on to this computer, the computer's Group Policy objects determine which set of Group Policy objects applies. Please see details from: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2013/02/08/circle-back-to-loopback/
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Chrismo16 Friday, January 06, 2017 3:45 PM
    Friday, January 06, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Unfortunately, since the user accounts are in a domain that I do not have permissions for I am unable to do option 1. 

However, it looks like loopback processing is the answer for my scenario. 

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, January 06, 2017 3:47 PM