WSUS 10032 The server is failing to download some updates but no updates missing RRS feed

• Question

• Started getting events on WSUS Server saying that the server is failing to download some updates (Event ID 10032).  When I look, there are no other corresponding 364 events and when I look at the file status for all updates, no issues are seen meaning all approved updates have downloaded normally.  Updates have been downloaded to WSUS and deployed to client systems since the error started appearing.  

The most recent changes to the system were that the following WSUS updates were installed in order to resolve a 364 error for two patches:

WSUS 3.0 (SP2): Build 3.2.7600.226 (Server 2008)
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2720211: Build 3.2.7600.251
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2734608: Build 3.2.7600.256
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2828185: Build 3.2.7600.262
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2938066: Build 3.2.7600.274

After installing the above WSUS Updates, the two problem patches downloaded without error and subsequent patches have been downloaded normally and been deployed as well. 

Some more details: 

• There is plenty of free space on all drives
    • The WSUSIndex.vbs maintenance script and a Server restart were performed but no difference.
    • BITS is currently set to Foreground mode
    • The systems gets its patches directly from Microsoft
    •  The server also has a known event ID 12032 "The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working" which is due to Anonymous authentication not being allowed on the ServerSyncWebService on this server.  

Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi JCJCJCJC,

Please re-run post installation step on the WSUS server, check if it could help.

C:\program files\update services\tools>wsusutil  postinstall

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:18 AM
  • I am not seeing that option:  The response is as follows: 

C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools>wsusutil postinstall
    Unknown command. The following commands are known:
            help
            checkhealth
            configuressl
            configuresslproxy
            deletefrontendserver
            listinactiveapprovals
            removeinactiveapprovals
            export
            healthmonitoring
            import
            listfrontendservers
            movecontent
            reset
            usecustomwebsite
            listunreferencedpackagefolders

Monday, January 23, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi JCJCJCJC,

Do you use this one:

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:55 AM
  • Looks the same to me (unless I am missing something - see print screen below). 

The wsusutil file version is showing as 3.1.7600.226.  Is that correct or should it have gotten upgraded with one of the WSUS Updates listed in my original post, above?

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:53 PM
  • Any other ideas or anything else I can check?  Also - is this the most up to date version of the wsusutil tool?
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:55 PM
  • Hi JCJCJCJCJC,

Sorry for the later reply, since my WSUS server are server 2012R2 and server 2016, I couldn't check the version of wsusutil on server 2008R2 in time.

If the issue is still not resolved, I would recommend re-installing the WSUS role, and install KB2938066, check if it will work after reinstallation.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Re-installing the WSUS role worked for me.  Thanks!!

Deepender

Monday, October 15, 2018 6:50 AM