Conflict between bluetooth and 2.4 GHz wireless RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have encountered what I consider quite an unusual problem, and the solution has so far eluded me. I have a wireless keyboard with trackball and media hotkeys which I've been using for some time with my Vista Home Premium x64 pc without a problem. Yesterday, I paired some bluetooth stereo headphones with the computer. At first, I thought everything was working great, but then I realised since I paired the headphones Windows is no longer accepting input from the wireless keyboard(except for those media hotkeys). The keyboard is clearly communicating with the receiver, and I'm fairly confident I can still see it in device manager(although it shows up as a generic HID so I can't be 100% sure it's one of the ones listed). The strangest part of it for me is that the media keys still work. I can play/pause, change volume, but none of the standard keyboard keys nor the trackball are working.

I've tried moving the USB receiver to a different port and allowing plug and play to install the drivers again, I have removed the pairing with the headphones, I've disabled the bluetooth adapter in device manager, I've restarted and hoped the keyboard might be autodetected but so far I've made no progress. Can anyone suggest a solution?
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, I agree with you. This is an unusual problem.

As the media keys work properly, the connection is fine. Let’s confirm the following points.

1.Does the keyboard work properly in BIOS?

2.Does the keyboard work properly in Safe Mode?

3.Can you restore your computer to a early System Restore point? Does the issue persist?

4. Does the keyboard work properly on another known computer?

Then, let’s take a Clean Boot to troubleshoot this issue.

How to take a Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

If you still have this issue. Please let me know your keyboard brand and model. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, I agree with you. This is an unusual problem.

As the media keys work properly, the connection is fine. Let’s confirm the following points.

1.Does the keyboard work properly in BIOS?

2.Does the keyboard work properly in Safe Mode?

3.Can you restore your computer to a early System Restore point? Does the issue persist?

4. Does the keyboard work properly on another known computer?

Then, let’s take a Clean Boot to troubleshoot this issue.

How to take a Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please monitor the system in the Clean Boot environment. If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

If you still have this issue. Please let me know your keyboard brand and model. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Thanks for your advice. I will try those steps as soon as I can. Unfortunately, my timing wasn't great as I am going away tomorrow for 2 weeks. I just wanted to let you know I appreciate the assistance and I will post again with an update as soon as I return.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Please take my suggestions when you free. If you have any concern or question, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:33 AM