none
grouping resource for Department's Task (or Project) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all,

Suppose I have a set of Project (for ex. P1.... Pn). Suppose only 3 project.

Suppose I have 2 Department: DepA and DepB.

Each Pi is of a specific Department. Let's suppose

• P1 : DepA
    • P2 : DepB
    • P3 : DepA

Into Depx there're some human resources. 

Suppose:

• DepA : HRA1, HRA2
    • DepB: HRB1, HRB2.

Now... I would manage Project as single MSPRoject file and link them all to resource Pool. In resource Pool I specify the group of resource DepA and DepB in the specific fields of resource table view.

I make some cross Department assignment. Suppose that HRA1 work on some task for DepB...and HRB1 work on some tasks in DepA.

Into resource view I need to group for assignments to see how many work is outside that department.

I would not use VB script; only native features.

I try to make an example below:... thank you in advance for your answers.

Daniele.b75

• Edited by danieleb75 Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:35 PM no VB script.
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi, you need to group by your department field in the resource usage view.  In this instance, I have used the built in Group field.  Does this work or have I misunderstood?

Resource Usage grouped by Group

Ben Howard [MVP] <a href="http://www.applepark.co.uk/ben-howard-blog/">blog</a> | <a href="http://www.applepark.co.uk">web</a>

Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Sorry but I noticed that my comment to this post was truncated... I write it again.

Below I tried to re-produce into MS Project 2010 the scenario.

As you can see...I need to group for assigment because I need (for example) to know how many works (cost...resource...manday) of DepB will work (for a specific period, for ex a month) on task of DepA.

If I use group as you said...you can see (below) that I have the total amount of each Dep...

Group : DepX

SubGroup : HRx

But I need

Group : DepA

SubGroup : Projects of DepX  => allow me to see the sub-total.

SubGroup : HRx

Usage View...grouped

Daniele.b75

• Edited by danieleb75 Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:53 AM comment truncated
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:03 PM
  • any news about it?

Daniele.b75

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi Daniele,

If you want to know if (and how) Dept X resources work on Dept Y projects, you'll have to create 1 lookup table "department" and 2 custom fields linked to this lookup table : 1 resource department custom field and 1 project department custom field. Note that if you have more than 1 department working on a project, the project custom field might be replaced by a task custom field.

Then you'll be able to group:

Group : project/task department X

SubGroup : resource department Y

Note that Project Server 2010 and 2013 have a out-of-the-box feature for managing projects and resources departments. Here is an excellent blog from Treb Gatte:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2010/03/17/departmental-custom-fields.aspx

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:49 PM