none
Redirected folders and offline files?

Question

• Hi,

Forgive me if this is not the right forum for this question, but I have setup folder redirection using GP for all my computers.  Works well to keep all the user's desktop, documents, favorites and such on the server where they can be backed up and follow them from computer to computer.  These have all been Windows 7 Pro desktops.

Now I have a group of users who want to use laptops instead of desktops, Windows 10 Pro laptops.  I've joined the laptops to the domain and my folder redirect GP seems to be working as desired.  However, when I take the laptop out of the building, off the network, I get errors for each redirected folder because, of course, I'm not on the network.  At this point in time I do not want to mess with VPN.

So I thought offline files was the way to go but I can't seem to figure out how to make my redirected folders available offline.  Nor for that matter any file within those folders. 

What am I missing here?  Isn't offline folders the correct solution or is there some configuration option I've not found yet?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Linn,

I do have two separate folder redirection policies, one for the desktop users who don't need offline files and the other for the laptop users who do need offline files.

>>>Try to create two computer OU, one for desktop computers, one for laptop computers.

Then configure the setting Allow or disallow use of the Offline Files feature to allow for laptop computers OU and disable for desktop computers OU.

The path of the setting:

Compute Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > Network > Offline Files > Allow or disallow use of the Offline Files feature

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Am 31.08.2016 um 20:51 schrieb lkubler:
    > [...] I get errors for each
    > redirected folder because, of course, I'm not on the network.

You disabled somehow Offline files.
    By default offline files are activated automatically if you are using
    Folder Redirection.

Possible reasons:
    - you disabled Offline by GPO (see GPOs)
    - your share does not allow offline use (see settings share)

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:37 AM
  • Hi Linn,

Thanks for your post.

Offline Files is enabled by default for redirected folders on Windows client computers, and disabled on computers running Windows Server, unless changed by the user.

To enable offline files, you could configure the setting: Allow or disallow use of the Offline Files feature policy setting.

For more information, please refer to the article below.

Deploy Folder Redirection with Offline Files

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649078(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Monday, September 5, 2016 7:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lkubler Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:00 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Yes, that was part of the problem.  I had Offline Settings on the share set to "No files or programs from the shared folder are available offline."  I changed it to "Only the files and programs that users specify are available offline." and then my normal user account started downloading all the files for offline use, not what I want, and my laptop test user has to manually select the redirected folders for offline use, not what I want either.  This is somehow just backwards.

I do have two separate folder redirection policies, one for the desktop users who don't need offline files and the other for the laptop users who do need offline files.

I have since disabled offline files from the desktop user's policy, which seems to be working but I have yet to see the redirected folders automatically cache the files for offline use.  But since it is such a limited number of users that will be carrying laptops maybe manually marking for offline use will be acceptable. 

Thanks,

Linn

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:01 PM
  • Hi Linn,

>>>Try to create two computer OU, one for desktop computers, one for laptop computers.

Then configure the setting Allow or disallow use of the Offline Files feature to allow for laptop computers OU and disable for desktop computers OU.

The path of the setting:

Compute Configuration > Policies > Admin Templates > Network > Offline Files > Allow or disallow use of the Offline Files feature

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:35 AM