Windows 7 Black Screen, No Mouse Pointer, No response from Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Writing this in Shanghai.

Currently, i'm experiencing a problem with Windows 7. When i boot up my device, windows 7 works beautifully until boot-up screen disappears. after that, even log-in screen doesn't appear. what i can see is only black screen with neither white cursor nor mouse pointer. and different from many other cases, even my keyboard doesn't respond! i tried to use Alt-ctrl-del to use task manager, but it never ever ever works. fortunately, There is no problem with booting up my device in Safe Mode, so i tried several available solutions like installing latest Nvidia Driver or Prevx solution (http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html ) I just installed Homeworld 2 prior to this problem. may be it's a possible problem. but i also tried system recovery. in first trial, automatic recovery wizard gave me an error which i didn't know about, and at the second trial in safe mode system recovery worked, but black screen problem was still there.

available soultions never work on my computer. What is the problem with my computer? I can't format C drive. I don't have back up of my documents.

Please tell me possible solutions ASAP

Thanks!

System spec

Intel i7 920
    Geforce GTX 960
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5
    standard mouse/keyboard
    • Edited by SNSD Forever Monday, February 1, 2010 3:42 PM dd
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this issue occurs right after installing Homeworld 2, I suggest try system restore in Safe mode and see if you can make any progress. You can also choose system restore from the System recovery Options.

If still no go, you can remove Homeworld 2, remove the display card driver in safe mode and restart to install the latest display card driver. If possible, write down the exact error report after running system recovery.

Most crash problems are caused by incompatible or unstable hardware devices, as Safe mode does not encounter the issue, refer to the following steps to disable them in Device Manager. In this situation, your system will only have basic hardware devices and it should be more stable.

1. Click "Start"-> type in "DEVMGMT.MSC" and press Enter.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties".
    4. In the "Device Usage" dropdown menu, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.
    5. Please use the same method to disable other potentially unstable hardware such as the modem, network card, and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as the video adapter cannot be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still crash now?

If your computer works properly, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause of this issue.

If your computer still crashes, the problem may be with the motherboard or Central Processing Unit (CPU). If this is the case, I recommend you contact the computer vendor for more information.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As this issue occurs right after installing Homeworld 2, I suggest try system restore in Safe mode and see if you can make any progress. You can also choose system restore from the System recovery Options.

If still no go, you can remove Homeworld 2, remove the display card driver in safe mode and restart to install the latest display card driver. If possible, write down the exact error report after running system recovery.

Most crash problems are caused by incompatible or unstable hardware devices, as Safe mode does not encounter the issue, refer to the following steps to disable them in Device Manager. In this situation, your system will only have basic hardware devices and it should be more stable.

1. Click "Start"-> type in "DEVMGMT.MSC" and press Enter.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties".
    4. In the "Device Usage" dropdown menu, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.
    5. Please use the same method to disable other potentially unstable hardware such as the modem, network card, and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as the video adapter cannot be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still crash now?

If your computer works properly, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause of this issue.

If your computer still crashes, the problem may be with the motherboard or Central Processing Unit (CPU). If this is the case, I recommend you contact the computer vendor for more information.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Thank you for your answer. I tried to use system recovery again, and now it works. i don't know further details about the error occurred during recovery. i will make another thread when this problem happen again.

Thank you for your answer!
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:12 PM