none
Cannot Save Bitlocker Recovery Key to Microsoft Account - Windows 10 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

For a while I have been using Bitlocker for encryption the secure of my windows 10 pro laptop, which has no . It had work great until two days ago after turning off, it began to ask for the Recovery Key «every time» it has to boot the OS.

It had to visit from another computer the site https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey?lang=en-US in order to use my stored Recovery Key. It was annoying.

Ultimately I decided to turn off the encryption with Bitlocker hoping to be able to re-encrypt my data, but when the BitLocker Drive Encryption wizard ask «How do you want to back up your recovery key?» and I try to choose «-> Save to your Microsoft account», I receive this message:

«Bitlocker Drive Encryption error

Can't save to your Microsoft account»

Had since then searching for answers related to it with no concrete solutions, so here I am trying to re-secure the data on my laptop.

Notes: Have, and re-validates it after this, a valid MS Account logged in on the laptop.

- OS

Friday, May 25, 2018 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's your OS build version? Please check through command line "winver" in Windows Search box.

Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Applications and services\Microsoft\Windows\Bitlocker)?

If you are using Windows 10 10240 and there is an "Access Denied" error message recorded in the Event Viewer, please add "Local Service" with full control of following folder.
    C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService

Here is the related thread I referred:

Cannot save external drives Bitlocker keys to microsoft account

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:47 AM