Serious problems in localized Windows Search make it unusable RRS feed

• Question

• There are two serious problems with Windows 7 Search Advanced Queries on localized Windows versions.

1. English keywords do not work, you must use keywords from your language.

This means User has to remember different set of keywords for each language version of Windows that he uses.
    Also any help found for English version is mostly useless as translations are non-obvious and hard to guess right.

In Microsoft Excel I can input functions in English regardless of localization.
    Windows Search should similarly accept English keywords as universal.

2. There is no documentation for advanced keywords in non-English languages.

Every link from online and offline documentation leads to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=83518 which is in English only and therefore useless.
    Even a list of possible keywords without description would help.

I assume above applies to every non-English version of Windows but in case it matters I use Polish version.

If there is some Microsoft employee reading this: please push this report in the right direction, thanks.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For you first question, could you give us the detailed operations so that we can reproduce this issue?

If this issue is a common phenomenon, in order to improve performance, i could send this feedback to our product team.

Meanwhile, regarding both questions, you could also submit your feedback:

Microsoft Products Accepting Bugs and Suggestions | Microsoft Connect

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:54 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:42 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For you first question, could you give us the detailed operations so that we can reproduce this issue?

If this issue is a common phenomenon, in order to improve performance, i could send this feedback to our product team.

Meanwhile, regarding both questions, you could also submit your feedback:

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:54 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:42 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Well, just install non-English Windows (eg. Polish) and try searching for anything, for example go to c:\ in explorer and try searching "name:pagefile.sys" (nothing will be found) then try "nazwa:pagefile.sys" which works. You can pick any other keyword.

If you search the web for similar problems you will find that people with other language versions complain about it too.

PS. I have Windows 7 Professional.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, this feature is just used for the convenience of local people, but your suggestion is valuable, I would submit your suggestion to our product team; and as I said, you could also give your advice to our corresponding connect team, they would consider your suggestion seriously:

Have a nice day!

Alex Zhao

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:45 AM
  • you could also give your advice to our corresponding connect team, they would consider your suggestion seriously:

That's what I've tried first but there is no Windows or Search product there :(
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Never mind, I have submitted your advice to our product team.

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:39 AM