windows 7 shuts down when Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service is enabled RRS feed

• Question

• My PC is a couple years old and has been working great. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate about 6 months ago and still everything worked.

About a month ago it started to have a problem where the screen instantly goes blank (no signal) The light on the power button stays on and the harddrive light blinks. I can still here the fans running but nothing else ever happens. I have to hold in the power button to turn it off. Then when I restart I get the message that it shut down incorrectly but then it starts back up.

Sometimes this takes over an hour before it happens other times it happens right away. If I restart it a couple times in a row it gets to the point where it does this down immediately upon Windows starting up and I have to wait a while before it will start up and stay running.

I've discovered that if I disable the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service the pc stops shutting itself down.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi lusher, you said..

I've discovered that if I disable the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service the pc stops shutting itself down.

Does the dwm.exe process still run without it? Seems a strange things to need to do? Have you run SFC to check system files are okay?

Without the DWM session manager running - DWMs "startup and maintenance services" couldn't run if required. There might be some very negative side effects in this state?

Hope it's AOK, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:55 AM
  • I will have to check on the dwm.exe process. I did run SFC and it said there were no problems.

The most notable negative side effect is that I lose the transparencies and the task bar thumbnails.

Disabling this service is the ideal solution I was hoping to get some suggestions on what could be causing it to shut down which I could then try to correct.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hi again, I read in another thread re: if Link Power Management is ON. and you have certain hardware this kind of thing may happen. I posted it somewhere not long ago. It may help you too. wait a sec..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/1ed3a83f-94b0-4703-b0bd-d2058f3cc0ac

See if there's something there that's helpful..

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:58 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:23 PM