none
Perfectly working USB drive not seen by my Windows 10 laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My HP EliteBook Laptop running Windows 10 can no longer see ONE of my USB drives (at all). I mean it cannot even see it on diskpart / disk management, and there's also nothing in the Device Manager that catches my attention. When I plug and unplug the device, basically nothing happens, no even a tiny notification anywhere... it's like if I'd plug in a piece of paper or whatever non-digital on it! :-D

But:

- That USB drive can still be seen and used by other computers,

- My laptop can still see other USB drives on that same USB port.

I looks like something got corrupted on my Windows 10 about that particular USB device.

Anyone could advise if there is any way to reset the USB entries / settings so that my laptop see it again?

Thanks,

Chris.

Monday, May 13, 2019 8:01 AM

Answers

• Well, this just seems to be a USB 3.1 thing (maybe just specific to that USB stick, laptop model, or drivers/software stack)... same problem noticed on multiple laptops (of this same model, at least). The USB 2.0 port just won't read it. We can close this issue; I won't give much more time investigating this.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You might try to update USB controllers:

1.Right click on the Start menu and select Device Manager from the list.

2.Narrow down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and update all the USB drivers.

To update the drivers, right click on the each driver and select Update driver.

3.If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would suggest you to uninstall all the USB drivers from the device manager.

4.Reboot the PC and it will automatically pick for the latest drivers for your PC.

5.If the issue persists, download and install the latest USB drivers available for your PC build from the manufacturer's website and see if it works.

Please refer to the following link:

USB device not recognized

Fix: USB Device Not Recognized on Windows 10

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Did you try to plug your USB device to a different port and then check again?

Since your laptop can still see other USB drives and the particular USB drive can be seen by other computer, if the above steps still not work, I would suspect that there was some compatibility issues between this USB drive and your USB port.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, May 13, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

Try the following:

Unplug the drive if it is plugged in.

Then:

Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices

Expand "Disk drives"

Right-click and select "Uninstall device" and uninstall all greyed out entries for the drive.

Close Device Manager and plug the drive back in.

Is the drive detected?

Monday, May 13, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Hello,

Please try Windows USB troubleshooter:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-flash-drive-problems-with-usb-troubleshooter-on-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:49 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for the delay... I've been checking your points this morning.

2 new things:

- That USB drive can be seen and used just fine from another USB port indeed. I've formatted it, changing drive letter, 

- Back on the non-working USB port, I still can't see anything, BUT I followed auggy's recommendation of "Showing hidden devices" in the Device Manager and I can then see my "USB Mass Storage Device" in the list, greyed out. I tried uninstalling the driver from there and rebooting... no luck, this error is still there.

Device greyed out & error code 45

> What about that USB troubleshooter? Is it a Microsoft tool or from a trusty source?

> I'm also not sure what driver from the vendor I should download... I'll try the "Realtek USB and PCIe Media Card Reader Drivers" (https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-840-g4-notebook-pc/11122291) and let you know.

Thanks very much!

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:58 AM
  • OK, no luck with installing the HP "Realtek USB and PCIe Media Card Reader Drivers". But I'm not 100% sure that it's the correct software I downloaded...
    Friday, May 17, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Discovered one more thing:

My colleague who has the same laptop model as I do has the same issue with my USB stick. It can be used on the "charging" USB 3.1 port (on the left) but not on the other USB 3.1 port on the right side... :-/

For the record:

The laptop is an HP EliteBook 840 G4.

The installed OS is Windows 10.0.17134.

The USB drive is a Transcend JetFlash 760.

USB driver version: 10.0.17134.1 (Microsoft's)

Device Status on "non-charging" USB port:
    "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
    To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

It works fine on the "charging" USB port.

Friday, May 17, 2019 2:49 PM
  • might be worth uninstalling the usb mass storage device and rebooting to allow it to re-install, check for driver update after that if it does not resolve the issue also. if it still does not work after that its either a)not really a usb slot or b)the drive does not like something about that slot.
    Friday, May 17, 2019 3:28 PM
  • Is the drive detected if you restart the computer in Safe Mode?

Also, if you have a USB hub available can you try attaching the drive via the hub and see if it works?

Also, is the latest BIOS and firmware updates installed?

Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:52 PM
  • Well, this just seems to be a USB 3.1 thing (maybe just specific to that USB stick, laptop model, or drivers/software stack)... same problem noticed on multiple laptops (of this same model, at least). The USB 2.0 port just won't read it. We can close this issue; I won't give much more time investigating this.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:30 AM
  • I'll maybe check these things when I have the time. Thanks!
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 8:31 AM