none
Create Custom Resource Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I'm not sure this is already asked but seemed I can't find the answer. So here we go, 

I'd like to create a custom resource group that Individual resource group can fall under. Let's say we have "Joni" as Team Leader "Tom" as Programmer and "Ray" as Team Leader/Programmer.    So, in this case, we have Resources name (Joni, Tom and Ray) and we have Resource Group (Team Leader and Programmer) but 1 person falls under 2 category. 

1. How do you create the custom resource group that can be assigned to individuals

2. How assigned each person to specific category resource group. 

Hope I explained it clear, thank you all, any help would be appreciated 

thank you so much! 

Sunday, March 6, 2016 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you allow multiple choice for a custom field, you'll have to live with this type of limitations. For example, if you want to extract in some report the amount of work or ability for programmer, you simply cannot because Ray has 2 roles and the data cannot be split between both roles.

That's why I always advice not to use multiple choice custom fields, or at least to be aware of the limitations. A workaround would be to create several custom fields such as "primary role", "secondary role"...

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Monday, March 7, 2016 2:03 PM
  • I completely agree with Guillaume's reply. You would like to focus on 1 core competence for any resource.

On your other question, how to create them:

In PWA Settings, go to "Enterprise Custom fields and lookup tables". Create a lookup table first with all the roles you have. Then create a field (set it to be a resource text field and find the lookup table you just created).

For the second question:

Navigate to the resource pool in PWA, and either bulk edit the resources and select their group, or select each resource individually.

Hope this helps,

Erik

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 6:52 AM