IE Crashes on Open RRS feed

• Question

• We have an issue with IE crashing on opening. We initially had this with one user, however this is now spreading to more and more users. As far as we know, nothing has changed on the users PC's, no updates, no hardware/software changes. We are running IE9 (and cannot upgrade to 11 due to intranet). 

We have tried various solutions such as graphics updates, enabling GPU rendering, rolling back IE, running safe mode, running IE Safe mode.... 

Eventviewer:

APPCRASH

IEXPLORE.EXE

FAULT MODULE: StackHash_0a9e

Any help, gratefully received! 

Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hi AkBall92,

According to the error message, the StackHash error occurs when DEP(Data Execution Prevention) is invoked and has an issue with whatever application you’re trying to run ,The error is related to Data Execution Prevention.
    We can perform a clean boot to verify whether there is a third party software conflict.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the error persists, please take the following steps to turn off the "DEP"(Data Execution Prevention) for the Internet Explorer to have a check.
    1. Click on the Start menu and then go to the Control Panel.
    2. Click on System Maintenance and then System.
    3. Choose Advanced System Settings.
    4. Under System Properties, select Settings from the Performance section at the top.
    5. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    6. Select “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.
    7. Find the executable file for the application that triggered the error.
    8. Select the application causing the error and click Open to add it to your DEP Exceptions list.
    9. Click OK to save your new settings.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AKBall92 Friday, June 12, 2015 10:42 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 6:06 AM

All replies

• APPCRASH

IEXPLORE.EXE

FAULT MODULE: StackHash_0a9e

Find the associated Report.WER file in %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WER\  and open it in Notepad to see a list of LoadedModules.  That list is not given in either the Reliability Monitor or msinfo32 versions of the same report.  The file will actually be in a subdirectory which can be found by a search but unfortunately content of the file cannot be searched.  For example, this search works for me:  name:report.wer  path:iexp

Short of getting a full dump of a crash event I think seeing a list of loaded modules (as once provided by drwtsn32.log <eg>) is the best clue we can get.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 11, 2015 4:12 PM
    Answerer
  • If you want to try to obtain a use mode dump of the crash you can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file (save with the .reg extension and give it any name such as iedump.reg), then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time iexplore.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\iexplore.exe]
    "DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
    00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via public folder on OneDrive or similar site?

Here's a couple of links on using OneDrive (SkyDrive):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/skydrive/add-photos-files-faq

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/onedrive/share-file-folder

More info on collecting user-mode dumps:
    »msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···85).aspx

Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Hi AkBall92,

According to the error message, the StackHash error occurs when DEP(Data Execution Prevention) is invoked and has an issue with whatever application you’re trying to run ,The error is related to Data Execution Prevention.
    We can perform a clean boot to verify whether there is a third party software conflict.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the error persists, please take the following steps to turn off the "DEP"(Data Execution Prevention) for the Internet Explorer to have a check.
    1. Click on the Start menu and then go to the Control Panel.
    2. Click on System Maintenance and then System.
    3. Choose Advanced System Settings.
    4. Under System Properties, select Settings from the Performance section at the top.
    5. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab.
    6. Select “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.
    7. Find the executable file for the application that triggered the error.
    8. Select the application causing the error and click Open to add it to your DEP Exceptions list.
    9. Click OK to save your new settings.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AKBall92 Friday, June 12, 2015 10:42 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2015 6:06 AM
  • Thanks MeipoXu!

The steps for DEP worked! 

Friday, June 12, 2015 10:43 AM
  • 1.  I didn't try the first suggestion because I thought it was too difficult

2.  I tried the second suggestion and it did not work

2a.  I could not change the configuration in the Data Excecution Prevention tab.   The ability to change was greyed out.   Below it was the following message.

To use these settings you must be a computer adminstrator & you must use the bcedit.exe file

So I enabled computer administrator and logged in as such.  Area still greyed out and it told me I must use the bcedit.exe file.   I have no idea how to use this file. 

I wasn't even able to run bcedit.exe from the command prompt as adminsrtrator logged into my Microsoft account.  I got this error message.

bcedit is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file

Then I went to EMET and changed DEP to "App Opt Out" and opted out of IE.  IE still did not work same as before.

I do know this.  When I installed W10 TP 10122  the Edge Browser worked.  Of cours that was during the TP phase so no idea what will happen with it in W10 on July 29th.

IE runs fine in W7-SP1 and I am using the same programs in W8.1 as W7-SP1 with one exception  I am using BDW8 Security in W8.1 and BDIS 2015 in W7-SP1 but I doubt that is the problem as the BDW8 Security program has not been updated for over year and I used to be able to run IE in W8.X before with BDW8 Security.

I think the problem could be a conflict with Crypto Prevent because I always install it last when I have done a clean install of W8.X and I test IE along the way as I am installing apps.  As I recall it worked fine until about the time I installed Crypto Prevent.  However, I am not positive.  All I remember for sure is that IE has worked on clean install of W8.X until near the end of my desktop app installs I left a message on the Crypto Prevent forum

I am using the default settings in Crypto Prevent, nonetheless Crypto Prevent makes changes to Group Policy settings when it is installed even in the default mode.

Since I use Firefox as my main web browser I would just as soon wait for W10 and see if Edge works in W10 rather than spend any more time on trying to solve this problem unless the folks at Crypto Prevent provide me with a solution.  Otherwise I just as soon let things lie at this point rather than spend more time trying to solve this problem

Thanks to everyone for their help.

• Edited by MikeAmerica Saturday, June 13, 2015 9:29 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 9:24 PM