none
Bitlocker drive corrupted. unable to repair. please help. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First let me thank you for taking your time and trying to help me. I am so desperate now. I have lost about 200GB of family photos and many important documents because of bitlocker :( If I cant recover them I dont know what to do.

I will go through the timeline of my actions because I am not sure what has caused my drive to get corrupted.

1. 20 days ago I bought 2 new 1TB WD drives.
    2. I created a 2-way-mirror drive using windows 10 storage manager. (RAID 1) I wanted to be safe !
    3. I enabled bitlocker on the new drive and copied all my backups to this drive.
    4. 10 days ago I decided to enable bitlocker on my OS drive too, but because my system doesn't have a compatible TPM, I had to enable "require additional authentication on startup" in group policy manager.
    5. I successfully encrypted my C drive and it works fine now.
    6. yesterday I tried to access my backup drive but after unlocking it. I noticed it is inaccessible and bitlocker is corrupted.

I dont know if encrypting the second drive has anything to do with my backup drive corruption. but i have done nothing else and storage manager shows both raid drives are OK and green ! something has corrupted bitlocker on my backup drive.

As I said I am able to unlock the drive :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -unlock z: -rp 576983-030041-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The password successfully unlocked volume Z:.

but I can not access the files and if I try to decrypt the drive I get this error :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>manage-bde -off z:
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011

ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x80070015):
    The device is not ready.

Here is the drive status :

Volume Z: []
    [Data Volume]

Size:                 Unknown GB
        BitLocker Version:    2.0
        Conversion Status:    Used Space Only Encrypted
        Percentage Encrypted: 100.0%
        Encryption Method:    XTS-AES 128
        Protection Status:    Protection On
        Lock Status:          Unlocked
        Identification Field: Unknown
        Automatic Unlock:     Disabled
        Key Protectors:
            Password
            Numerical Password

I tried repair-bde utility but it fails with a 200MB log file of decrypt errors :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>repair-bde.exe z: e: -rp 576983-030041-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx -force
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Repair Tool version 10.0.10011

Beginning scan for BitLocker metadata.

Scanning boot sectors for pointer to metadata: 100%
    Finished scanning for BitLocker metadata.
    Valid metadata at offset 156237824 found at scan level 1.
    Successfully created repair context.
    Beginning decryption.
    Decrypting:   1% Complete.
    LOG ERROR: 0xc0000039
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 8192. (0x80070057)
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 1056768. (0x80070057)
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 2105344. (0x80070057)
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 3153920. (0x80070057)
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 4202496. (0x80070057)
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 5251072. (0x80070057)
    Failed to decrypt data at offset 6299648. (0x80070057)

What I noticed is that my drive is encrypted using XTS-AES 128 which is introduced to windows 10 on 12 Nov 2015 : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403325(v=vs.85).aspx

I tested repair-bde with a healthy bitlocker usb flash drive and noticed it still gives all these decrypt errors. is it possible that repair-bde doesnt support XTS-AES  method yet ? may be it should be updated by Microsoft ?

Does anyone have any experience with repairing a XTS-AES volume ? I would appreciate your help.

Edit : I also get the following error in event viewer :

A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume Z:.

The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record.  The file reference number is 0x5000000000005.  The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>".

Regards

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to say that a bad block on the disk can cause the repair-bde to fail.

Run chkdsk /f on the drive Z as you mentioned and see if there is any error.

Also, refer to this link to see if some solution here can be helpful:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/configuring-backup-and-restore-executing-sdcltexe/4cf7b76b-6ba6-4d8b-a14b-9eae91024844 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Dave Dawson Friday, January 10, 2020 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:30 PM
    Owner
  • No, it is not the case.  my bitlocker drive is on a RAID 1 drive. both drives are 100% healthy. windows has  somehow managed to corrupt a bitlocker drive. I dont know how.
    I have found out why repair-bde fails. MS has forgotten to update it to support XTS-AES which was released 3 months ago. unbelievable sloppiness from Microsoft part. currently if you use bitlocker on Windows 10 and your drive gets corrupted for any reason, you are doomed. no way to recover your data. stay away from Bitlocker until MS releases updated repair-bde.

Is there anyway to contact Microsoft regarding this issue directly ? It is very critical. I have lost 200GB of my data and I am sure I am not alone.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:46 PM
  • No, it is not the case.  my bitlocker drive is on a RAID 1 drive. both drives are 100% healthy. windows has  somehow managed to corrupt a bitlocker drive. I dont know how.
    I have found out why repair-bde fails. MS has forgotten to update it to support XTS-AES which was released 3 months ago. unbelievable sloppiness from Microsoft part. currently if you use bitlocker on Windows 10 and your drive gets corrupted for any reason, you are doomed. no way to recover your data. stay away from Bitlocker until MS releases updated repair-bde.

Is there anyway to contact Microsoft regarding this issue directly ? It is very critical. I have lost 200GB of my data and I am sure I am not alone.

Hi,

You can try the phone or email support for more timely support:

Contact us:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:03 AM
    Owner
  • Do you see any BitLocker errors in the event logs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Dear All,

even i have the same issue with my external HDD, i tried to encrypt the HDD and it was paused on 51%. and the next i tried to resume it.. it says device is not ready..  please help me.. as i have very important files in it.

thank you in advance.

Monday, July 18, 2016 2:53 PM
  • 这个问题正是硬盘有坏道导致的
    Sunday, April 28, 2019 12:55 AM