Change Theme with Group Policy or script RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we've created a company theme (.theme) which we want to deploy to the users workstations either via GPO or script. Is this doable?
    We've set up a GPO which pushes the .theme-file along with the wallpaper-images to the C-drive of the workstation so this is alle taken care of.
    The problem which remains is how to activate the theme for the users?

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Rolf
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi and thanks for the reply! We've actually figured it all out. We found a GP-setting at User -> Administrative templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> Load a specific theme. We then point to a .theme-file we copy out at every boot using GP preferences. We had to set GP loopback processing to replace so the user-setting for the theme is applied for the computer-object.
    Works like a charm! :)
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 17, 2009 12:57 AM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• you've to install the theme manually at each workstation or from the next time when you reformat the Pc's, deploy a customized W7 iso using imagex tool available in WAIK 2.0 and add your theme as default there...

or you can just pass a message to all users to go to that loaction and install that theme...
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hi and thanks for the reply! We've actually figured it all out. We found a GP-setting at User -> Administrative templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> Load a specific theme. We then point to a .theme-file we copy out at every boot using GP preferences. We had to set GP loopback processing to replace so the user-setting for the theme is applied for the computer-object.
    Works like a charm! :)
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 17, 2009 12:57 AM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Hi nitinagarwal1988, I've looked into the customDefaultThemeFile-attribute of the x86_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral in the unattend.xml (we're using MDT2010beta2), but the unattend.xml-validator says that customDefaultThemeFile is deprecated in Windows 7.

Do you have any more info on doing this the imagex way?

Cheers

Rolf
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Hi Rvaglid

I also want to deploy customise theme to our Windows 7 student lab computers via group policy and I'd also like to change theme file every month i.e replace the old one with new one.Can you please help me you out with this by providing screen shots & step-by-step instructions of whole deployment process ?

Thanks in advance

Monday, January 17, 2011 11:03 PM
  • How do you do it?

I cant understand you

Friday, September 19, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi, would you be able to provide screen shots for the settings you did?
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:50 PM