none
Access denied when opening project using project professional client application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have some users who are members of 'Team Members for Project Web App'.

They can open projects using the browser just fine.

But, if they try to open it using the menu  :  Projects Tab > Open > In Microsoft Project,

the project professional client application starts but shows an error : 'you do not have the required permissions to perform the operation'

Is there some restrictions for 'Team Members for Project Web App' with the project professional application?

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi hokus-pokus,

Indeed the "team member for project web app" group is intented to be used in PWA only for timesheet and project center, project détails and for SharePoint sites. Team members are not allowed to edit the project plan in MS Project Pro. If some of them are required to do so, they should be added to the project manager group.

In term of best practices, a team member shouldn't access in edit mode a project plan, he is not accountable for it and should not update it. Only the project manager (or equivalent) should have this responsibility.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 12:24 PM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for your answer. I changed a user to the project manager group and indeed it works. He now can open the project using project professionnal. 

But I'm confused. That person is really just a team members in our project (not a project manager). I would like him to be able to update tasks (using pwa or project professionnal) when he is done with it for instance. I feels weird to have him as project manager (and the MS description states that "This group is intended for project owners who assign tasks to resources."). 

So, I'm not sure which group is the most suitable for my team members... any suggestion?

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Indeed team members should not be added to the PM group. But they should not either edit directly the proejct plan. The process is the following:

1. The PM assignes a resource on a task, either from PWA or MS Project Pro,
    2. The PM publishes the project plan,
    3. The TM goes to the task link in the quick launch menu on the left side,
    4. The TM enters the actual work done on his assignments and submit it to the PM,
    5. The PM goes to the approval center, sees the task updates waiting for approval, approves or rejects the task updates,
    6. The PM opens the project plan, updates the remaining work and publishes again the project the the task updates are taken into account and send to the TM.

See this reference for Project Server 2010 but still applicable for 2013.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:50 PM
  • Yes, this helps a lot. thanks.

So, regarding permissions, the TM is in the 'Team Members for Project Web App' group and is supposed to use the PWA exclusively. Is this right?

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:25 PM
  • Actually I'd said PWA and SharePoint site (project site). But roughly yes, this is right.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:56 PM