none
USB driver is not associated if device descriptor contains additional interface

Question

• Hi,

I have an USB device (an embedded system that I am developing) and associated driver.

It has one interface with two endpoints (BULK IN and BULK OUT) and control endpoint.

When I connect that USB device to PC, then device driver is getting associated with device and I am able to use the device.

Now I have updated USB device descriptor to have one more interface (all other information like VID, PID are same and also existing interface is not altered). Now it has: one control endpoint, one interface with BULK IN and BULK OUT and another interface with BULK IN endpoint.

When I connect this USB device with modified device descriptor, USB driver is not getting associated and giving me error code: 10 (0xA).

Device driver software is from 3rd party.

Now I am not sure if error is thrown by windows kernel or device software.

Please help me in debugging this.

Any log files/events that can be enabled when device is connected and how driver is loaded, what checks are performed by kernel to load the driver etc (I believe it only looks at VID and PID).

FYI: Same setup works on Linux environment (looks liek linux just ignores this additional interface added)

Rgds,

Venkat.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Code 10 most probably means that the error is thrown by the 3rd party driver.

-- pa

Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the response. Are there any logs that I can look at?

I tried PnP trace and I see EventID 218 status as 0xc0000001 (3221225473).

What does this status mean?

Any ideas/work-arounds to make the driver working even with added additional interface?

Rgds,

Venkat.

Friday, August 4, 2017 6:16 AM
  • As usual - setupapi.dev.log, and check also Event Viewer events near the time of installation.

-- pa

Friday, August 4, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Thanks.
    Sunday, August 6, 2017 5:19 PM