none
Windows Diagnostics

Question

• Are there any diagnostics tools built into Windows Server 2008 R2, or can they be downloaded and installed?

Thanks,

Jessica

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:40 PM

All replies

• What are you trouble shooting? The windows and application event logs may provide what you need.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:50 PM
  • I need to test the hardware. It's an HP Z400 workstation with Windows Server 2008 R2. It's hanging during bootup and HP said I should be able to test the Memory using Windows Diagnostics but i'm not finding it. 

Thanks,

Jessica

Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:54 PM
  • Something here might help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2580960/debug-diagnostics-tool-v1-2-is-now-available

Generally the hardware manufacturer's provide their own hardware diagnostics tools.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:00 PM
  • Thank you - I will try both links you provided. 

I downloaded something from HP but it won't run. It flashes like it's going to open then never does. Hopefully it's not the same one that you provided a link for.

Thanks,

Jessica

Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Well the HP link is the same one that I downloaded from. None of the downloads on that page will work for me. I've tried them. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but that was why I came looking for something from Microsoft. 

I downloaded the Microsoft debug tool from the link you provided and that won't run either.

I don't know what else to do. I need a way to test the memory.

Thanks,

Jessica

Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Well I got something to work. I had to press F2 as the computer booted and eventually it took me to a screen with an option to run a Windows Memory Test. It said it would reboot on its own and a report would be available.

It rebooted but I was unable to find a report so I have no idea what it did or if it found any issues. 

I'm at an oh well point. I'll just keep fighting with it when it boots up. And deal with it randomly rebooting for no reason like I have been for the last six months.

Thank you for trying to help me. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jessica

Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:59 PM
  • From the Run box mdsched.exe to check memory. Its always a risk when running a server OS on unsupported desktop hardware and may also be that the HP tools aren't meant to run on a desktop OS. They may know more here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops/ct-p/DesktopPC

I'd check the pc has the latest ROM bios, firmware, chipset and driver support pack. (the chipset allows the operating system to find and use devices integrated into the mother board)

Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:48 PM