Tinted "Frost" Taskbar After Vista Theme Install on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I accidentally installed a theme that I made for Vista, and now there seems to be a smokey appearance to my Windows 7 themes. I have tried installing the different color themes and adjusting the customization options, but nothing seems to help. The window border transparency is unaffected--only the taskbar is smokey. Does anyone know if there is a setting buried somewhere that alters the transparency of the taskbar? I just changed my desktop to white and my theme to clear, so the smokey appearance is obvious now. When I open a new window, it looks like the border is smokey as well, but becomes clear after just a moment. Chris
    Here is a picture of the problem.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KX3XJTweJ1XToec-qYuWgQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWDtZiv7eedgQE&feat=directlink
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:26 PM

Answers

• Okay, try disabling your taskbar toolbar (just temporarily), I was able to replicate this by moving a toolbar around. If that fixes your issue, re-enable it and adjust it again.

• Marked as answer by virtualbeas Monday, August 31, 2009 2:13 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:44 PM

All replies

• It's due to you taskbar toolbar, unlock it and play around with it and you should be able to fix it rather quickly.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Looks like the Aero theme has been disabled, check the aero theme, check that out......
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:35 AM
  • I checked the Aero settings, and everything was OK with that. I also tried changing to Windows 7 basic and back, but that didn't help. I still have transparency--it is just that the transparency is tinted.

Chris
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:49 AM
  • The themes you installed may have replaced files associated to themes in the windows\resources folder. By typing or pasting "sfc /scannow" in a command promt the files may be restored along with the taskbar appearance.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Okay, try disabling your taskbar toolbar (just temporarily), I was able to replicate this by moving a toolbar around. If that fixes your issue, re-enable it and adjust it again.

• Marked as answer by virtualbeas Monday, August 31, 2009 2:13 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:44 PM
  • @Vistaline
    Thanks for the advice Vistaline. I disabled the quicklaunch toolbar and the tint disappeared from the middle section of the taskbar. There is, however, still a tinted appearance in the start button and notification areas. Is this standard on Windows 7? I don't recall this tint before, but may not have noticed it with wallpaper applied. Here is a screenshot:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JnsSY2qvPXLtWVSarz2tCw?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWDtZiv7eedgQE&feat=directlink

@Mr. Seven
    Thank you for the advice as well. I ran sfc, but didn't have any errors. Here is a screenshot for that:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P71mgnWlu8OUKbz6jv3_OA?authkey=Gv1sRgCKWDtZiv7eedgQE&feat=directlink

Chris

Monday, August 24, 2009 10:56 PM
  • The file check was negitive so on to plan B. Open your task manager (right click on the taskbar and select 'start task manager') and look for the process "dwm.exe". If it is not there try and restart it in services. Type services in the search box. Enable this service: Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, August 31, 2009 1:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by virtualbeas Monday, August 31, 2009 2:13 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy. The tint appears on the Start Menu and notification areas full-time and can appear if a toolbar is attached and the toolbar uses Large icons on a single-row taskbar. It will also pop up if you have text enabled.
    • Proposed as answer by Vistaline Monday, August 31, 2009 1:29 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:41 AM
  • @Mr. Seven
    Thanks again for the advice Mr. Seven. The "dwm.exe" process is running on my computer. Vistaline says the tinted start button and notification area are normal, so everything appears to be OK now. It must have just been a coincidence that I noticed that tint when I installed the Vista theme. I had enabled the quicklaunch toolbar to place my recycle bin there, and it appears that enabling such a toolbar and using large icons causes the taskbar to become tinted. I assume that Microsoft intended this action as a way to make text on the taskbar more legible. I would prefer a clear taskba, but it appears that I will need to settle with either a clear taskbar with tinted edges and no recycle bin on it or a tinted taskbar with a recycle bin. Nonetheless, I appreciate the swift response from both you and Vistaline.

Chris 
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:23 AM
  • That's not the answer, Robert. My last answer is the appropriate answer to the question.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:28 AM