none
Torn state installations on Windows 7 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed a new WSUS server which is making my job a lot easier.  Most of our environment is outdated when it comes to Windows updates.  I'm currently working on patching our server environment and will stat the PC/laptop updates in a couple weeks.  I know a lot of our Windows 7 machines are in the "torn state".  Below is the link that explains how to resolve this issue but I wanted to check to make sure there isn't an easier path for us to take.  We don't have the resources to touch every machine that has this issue.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/10/supported-workaround-for-torn-state-installations-on-windows-7-sp1.aspx

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:39 PM

Answers

• Most of our environment is outdated when it comes to Windows updates.  

I know a lot of our Windows 7 machines are in the "torn state".  Below is the link that explains how to resolve this issue but I wanted to check to make sure there isn't an easier path for us to take.  We don't have the resources to touch every machine that has this issue.

I don't know what to tell you. I don't think not having the resources to touch every Win7SP1 machine with a torn page issue that hasn't been patched in a year and a half is really a choice.

Personally, though, if I had a Win7SP1 machine in a "torn state" (well, actually, merely that situation is scary all by itself) ... that hadn't been patched in a year and a half, I'd format the drive and install a fresh slipstreamed Win7SP1 rather than try to 'fix' or 'patch' such a machine with 16 months of missing updates.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Product Manager, SolarWinds
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:59 AM

All replies

I know a lot of our Windows 7 machines are in the "torn state".  Below is the link that explains how to resolve this issue but I wanted to check to make sure there isn't an easier path for us to take.  We don't have the resources to touch every machine that has this issue.

I don't know what to tell you. I don't think not having the resources to touch every Win7SP1 machine with a torn page issue that hasn't been patched in a year and a half is really a choice.

Personally, though, if I had a Win7SP1 machine in a "torn state" (well, actually, merely that situation is scary all by itself) ... that hadn't been patched in a year and a half, I'd format the drive and install a fresh slipstreamed Win7SP1 rather than try to 'fix' or 'patch' such a machine with 16 months of missing updates.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:59 AM

I agree with Lawrence, the best bet at this point is to re image the PC, using imaging software or rebuild the Windows 7 workstation manually. Just my 2 cents.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Im very new to WSUS, so forgive my ignorance...

Ive been looking into WSUS (because we dont currently take advantage of it, dont even have one...yet). 

Currently in an AD environment 600+ workstations, where Im the only F-T Support Tech under 8 Network Admins.

Only about 5% of the users have any rights above "User" so allowing users to perform the updates is outta da question. Ive spent nearly 3 years getting all W2K workstations replaced and all WinXP workstations upgrades to SP3. As for the PCs being outta date, well I agree, If its 18 months or more outta date, reimage it ...much faster! Ive worked to create an "image library" of our most common deployments. Each image is just a base (BareMetal, i think its referred to)...That covers about 90% of our current assets

Now that Win7 w/SP1 is rolling out (Finally!) ... we really need a Centralized means of update deployment (other than me and my flash drive). Unfortunately, the NAs (im not one of them) dont utilize GPO so it falls on me to try and keep this ship from sinking by visiting each machine to perform only the absolute critical updates.

Back to my question... Does WSUS support updates for ALL Microsoft OS's on the domain, or do you need a WSUS for each OS (ie. Server versions, WinXP, WinVista, Win7, etc)? and if a PC is long overdue, will it provide any and all updates needed for the specific OS?

Friday, September 7, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Currently in an AD environment 600+ workstations, where Im the only F-T Support Tech under 8 Network Admins.

Wait! Please clarify. There are EIGHT network admins for a 600-node network? and you are the only fulltime sysAdmin?

Only about 5% of the users have any rights above "User" so allowing users to perform the updates is outta da question.

Which is exactly the reason SUS was developed in 2003, and evolved into WSUS a couple years later.

Does WSUS support updates for ALL Microsoft OS's on the domain

For all *supported* Windows operating systems (i.e. XPSP3, Win2003SP2, Win2008SP2, VistaSP2, Win2008R2, Win7, Win8, and Win2012)
    and if a PC is long overdue, will it provide any and all updates needed for the specific OS?
    Yes.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 1:19 AM