"out of memory" while there are physical memory available RRS feed

• Question

• I have 16GB of RAM, and I set the max pagefile to 2GB (otherwise it can take 10GB, and the OS become slow), then the "out of memory" exception occurred.

The cached memory used to be 6-8GB, then I use some tools like RAMMap to clear the cached memory. But this bearly affect the committed memory.

Dell G3 3590. The OS was win10 pro 1909, then I update it to 2004 and the problem remains.

I can't insert a screenshot so there is the content: 11.0GB(966MB) in use, 4.6GB available, 17.7/17.8GB committed, 236MB cached memory, 480MB/843MB paged/non-paged pool, DDR4 8G*2 2667MHz, 193MB reserved for hardware.

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This link may be helpful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/126962/out-of-memory-error-message-appears-when-you-have-a-large-number-of-pr

This "Windows 10 Hardware & Performance" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

"Windows 10 Hardware & Performance" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Hardware & Performance"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 20, 2020 9:26 AM
  • The original value of SharedSection is 1024,20480,768. It's already large enough. I double the values and nothing better.

The key is, once the committed memory is full, even there are GBs of available memory, "out of memory" exception occurr and programs start to crash.

Seems windows see the cached/mapped/standby memory as available memory but failed to empty them when memory is insufficient.

I notice some other computers around me, they all have the same phenomenons with me: lots of cached and paged memory, available committed memory smaller than available physical memory, programs crash when committed memory is full.

You really don't have these phenomenons???

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:30 AM