none
Sending Encrypted Emails in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• We recently setup Azure RMS with the intent of sending emails using the Encrypt Only template. This was working fine until recently. A user was having issue with RMS and couldn't download the templates. I followed the steps from this article (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7d467c59-8048-4adf-904f-e1ebdd4040a2/no-logged-on-office-users-are-configured-for-information-rights-management-irm?forum=WindowsAzureAD) and was able to bring back the templates. Upon attempting to send an email with the Encrypt Only template, however, Outlook prompted the error "Microsoft Outlook was not able to create a message with restricted permission". I tested RMS using the Poweshell cmdlet Test-IRMConfiguration -sender [USER EMAIL] and all tests passed just fine. I was also able to send encrypted emails from my own account without any issue. I suspect that the issue is not with our Azure RMS configuration.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:46 PM

All replies

• >>This was working fine until recently.

What changes have you made to Windows or Office before this issue occur?

What’s the detailed version of Outlook?

Can this user send restricted message on the web mail normally? We can also add his account to another Outlook client (which works for other users) to see if it helps.

This could help eliminate whether it lies on user’s account or Outlook client.

I’ve searched a lot but haven’t found official article regarding this error. On Outlook client side, I’d like to recommend you first try following suggestions to see if there are any improvements:

1. test this in a new profile

Open Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add. Follow the instruction to configure the account.

2. install available updates for both Office (not only Outlook) and Windows

Besides, you could also refer to this similar thread in RMS forum, it mentions that we can check the logs and use RMS Sharing Application to test it.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the information above is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:20 AM
  • I’ll write a brief summary here for your information:

[Issue Symptom:]

====================

Upon attempting to send an email with the Encrypt Only template, however, Outlook prompted the error "Microsoft Outlook was not able to create a message with restricted permission".

[Troubleshooting Steps so far:]

1. Test in a new profile
    2. Install available updates for both Office
    3. Try web mail

[Reference:]

====================

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/53b27b66-461b-4db0-9173-af286e3b616f/sending-emails-with-restricted-permissions?forum=rmscloud
    Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:02 AM