Alias in header being overwritten by Primary RRS feed

• Question

• We've recently migrated to Microsoft Exchange from Rackspace.  We have a system in place that handles our invoices that come in from many outside companies.  We have one email set up with many aliases so that the system can read the alias and know how to route the invoice automatically.

All emails from a non-domain source are keeping the alias in the header.

All emails from a domain are being replaced by the primary in the header.

Example:

To: alias <alias>      <----- this is how I want it and how any non-domain email is working

To: primary <alias>     <----- this is how domain emails are and we can't read the alias as the primary has overwritten it

I need a way for the domain emails to stop overwriting the alias in the header.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:45 PM

Answers

• That's the way Exchange works.  The only answer I have for you is to create separate mailboxes for each alias that you need to keep separate.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:21 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 5:16 PM

All replies

• That's the way Exchange works.  The only answer I have for you is to create separate mailboxes for each alias that you need to keep separate.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:21 AM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but that just is not an option as that would be over 200 seperate boxes to check and would be added to over time. 

That makes no sense to me as any non-domain email has no problem passing the alias in the header.

Why are the domain emails different?

Monday, October 15, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Perhaps it's time to reconsider the design, then.

Monday, October 15, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hi Adam

Ed is correct, I do not think there is a way to archive, it is by design.

Hope you can understand.

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:29 AM