Copy dual booting hard drive to dvd? RRS feed

• Question

• i wasnt sure where to post this because im new so sorry if this is the wrong area i just figured since im running xp. my situation is this.

i have an hp dv5000 and the hard drive is an atatchi with 230 give or take 10 gigs. im dual booting windows xp and then linux lubuntu in several different partitions. what i want to do is copy the entire hard drive partitions and boot loader, EVERYTHING and put it on a dvd. everything is up to date. now that everything is on dvd i want to the dvd to be able to do this.

1) set bios to boot from cd/dvd

2) boot from the dvd

3) have the dvd copy everything partitions and boot loader EVERYTHING back onto the hard drive

4) now all i have to do is reboot and i have the option to boot into linux or xp and all updates and prorams i had on them are still there

is there anyway to do this?

EDIT: its a 230 gb hard drive but only 10-15 is filled. maybe 20. is there anyway to compress it and then when I want to install it back on the hard drive have it format the whole hard drive then decompress the dvd files and reinstall the bootloader and partitions and whatever else is on there?
    • Edited by Ethan D. Smith Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:22 AM not specific enough
    Monday, March 3, 2014 10:34 PM

Answers

• Not sure, but you can achieve this by using Nortan Ghost.

I'll create a replica of the HDD.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Be aware that putting 230GB on DVD will take about 49 discs without any compression.  So in reality it is not practical to archive your HDD to DVD.

The best option is to get an external USB drive and archive everything to the external USB drive.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:51 PM

All replies

• Not sure, but you can achieve this by using Nortan Ghost.

I'll create a replica of the HDD.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Be aware that putting 230GB on DVD will take about 49 discs without any compression.  So in reality it is not practical to archive your HDD to DVD.

The best option is to get an external USB drive and archive everything to the external USB drive.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:51 PM