none
Content Type template not shown when new documents created in the browser

Question

• Hello,

I have a document library with the default content type using a docx template with some headings / text.

Creating a new file via word shows the template.

But if I set the default behavior of the library to open files in the browser, when I click on new the document that opens in Word Online is blank. It is not showing the template contents.

When that new file is closed and reopened the template contents are there in the browser, so it is picking up the correct content type / template but not displaying the template when new.

Does anyone know if this is expected behavior?

many thanks

Laura 

Monday, September 5, 2016 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Laura,

Per my test in my SharePoint online environment, whenever I create a new file via word or browser, it can display the correct document template.

For troubleshooting the issue, you could check things below:

1. Add the site into compatibility view in IE.

2. Reset IE settings. Go to IE->internet options->advanced settings->reset.

3. Create a new document library to check if the same issue will occur.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 9, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for replying.

I have realized that it is the header and footer content that does not show.

If we add text to the body that's fine.

Do you see headers?

regards

Laura

Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Hi Laura,

When I create new file via word application, it will show the header and footer with grey words.

And when I create new file via browser, it just shows the body and will not show the header and footer at first. When I click “insert” in the ribbon and click “Header&Footer”, it will display the header and footer in the template.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 19, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Hi Laura,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, September 26, 2016 1:15 AM