Lync Mediation & Audiocodes Mediant Best Practices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know if there are any best practices for setting up Mediant 1000 MSBG in a Lync environment. I've seen that it's best to use a dual NIC configuration on the Mediation server, with one NIC in a separate subnet for communication to the audio gateway. But if this is a closed subnet without a gateway, the clients won't be able to connect to this IP on the gateway for Media Bypass. Am I missing something?

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Even if you configure the link between the Mediation Server and the media gateway for TLS, it is still good practice to further enhance security by configuring the Mediation Server with two network interface cards to separate its internal and external edges. The media bypass would not be affected. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412740.aspx

For more details about setting up Mediant 1000 MSBG:

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi Kent, thanks for your reply. But I don't quite understand completely.

Do you mean that I have to setup two NICs:

* 1 for internal traffic; communication with clients, other lync servers, etc.

* 1 for sip & rtp traffic; communication with audiocodes gateway

In this case, if the second nic is in a seperate vlan for sip & rtp traffic, I'm guessing the lync clients would also need to be able to connect to this vlan to make the direct connection to the audiocodes gateway (for media bypass)?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:20 AM