How to - Unique Task Sequence for different Operating System RRS feed

• Question

• Hi and greetings from Portugal!

I've found an issue here they I would appreciate some guidance.

I've at the moment 2 task sequences where the only difference between them it's the operating system to deploy (one x86 and the other x64).
    It's there anyway to have only one task sequence and then choose what operating system to deploy?

Best regards,
    Diogo Sousa

:: Geeking Around Technological World :: | http://front-slash.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:33 PM

Answers

• MDT is designed to only install 1 kind of OS per TS, so this thing you're trying to do isn't something that'll work.

The other issue you'll have is that the default MDT unattend.xml files are only for 1 architecture type, so either x86 or x64. If you were able to deploy either image with a single task sequence, which for example was created using an x64 image and you then manage to get it working to also deploy an x86 image... the image will be applied using the x64 unattend.xml file which in turn applies no settings since all of them will be ignored (meaning autologon will not be enabled, task sequence wouldn't continue in windows, drivers wouldn't be installed and such).

It's should be possible to get it working, however you'll end up having to edit several of the MDT scripts and apply the logic you need. I personally don't see the difference in between having 2 task sequences, or 1 task sequence and then just have another custom wizard page that asks which architecture should be installed.

I've seen a similar question a couple of weeks ago, and at the end it was too much of a hassle.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

• Marked as answer by Diogo Sousa Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid not. The closest to what you're seeking I can think of, would be adding an extra 'Install Operating system' step in the 'install' phase of the task sequence, and making the new step install another operating system.

To only install one out of several operating systems would require the deployment wizard to allow the user to do a selection between the operating systems during the wizard.  Maybe by creating a script to open the cmd, prompt the user on which of the operating systems is wanted, and then skip to the correct 'Install Operating System' step, it could theoretically be possible, but I'm not quite sure how you would extract the possible operating systems, to prompt the user with.

Generally you create different task sequences for the main reason, of distinguishing between which operating system you want to deploy.
    • Proposed as answer by Krims-Krams13 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:21 PM
  • MDT is designed to only install 1 kind of OS per TS, so this thing you're trying to do isn't something that'll work.

The other issue you'll have is that the default MDT unattend.xml files are only for 1 architecture type, so either x86 or x64. If you were able to deploy either image with a single task sequence, which for example was created using an x64 image and you then manage to get it working to also deploy an x86 image... the image will be applied using the x64 unattend.xml file which in turn applies no settings since all of them will be ignored (meaning autologon will not be enabled, task sequence wouldn't continue in windows, drivers wouldn't be installed and such).

It's should be possible to get it working, however you'll end up having to edit several of the MDT scripts and apply the logic you need. I personally don't see the difference in between having 2 task sequences, or 1 task sequence and then just have another custom wizard page that asks which architecture should be installed.

I've seen a similar question a couple of weeks ago, and at the end it was too much of a hassle.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

• Marked as answer by Diogo Sousa Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Hi Diogo,

What you are looking to do is actually quiet easy IF you have something that MDT can key off of to decide which of the images to install.

How do you decide which image is installed?  If it is a manual decision then you'll have to script some prompt requesting the choice from the user.  If it is based on something tangible then you may be able to key off of the information already collected by MDT.  For example, if laptops are supposed to get the 32bit image and desktops the 64bit, you could key off of the "IsLaptop" and "IsDesktop" task sequence variables. 

That being said, we're talking just a basic MDT task sequence.  Any of your application install will then be more complicated as you will have to have logic to prevent 64bit applications from installing on the 32bt builds and preventing 32bit applications (that you may not want) from installing on 64bit builds.

It is entirely doable from a technical standpoint.  Maintaining it may be a different matter.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Well...and you're all right! :)

After reading what everyone wrote it's really almost "impossible" without scripting something before the task sequence to boost so...well thanks everyone for the taked time! :)

Best Regards,
    Diogo Sousa

:: Geeking Around Technological World :: | http://front-slash.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:56 PM