The physical IP address for a wireless adapter or LAN adapter stays forever. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am quite sureprised that when I have run 'ipconfig/all' on a laptop on which Windows xp is installed, I found that that Physical IP address for both the LAN and  Wireless adapter are as follows.

I have reinstalled a Windows 7 on the same laptop, then I have tried run the same ipconfig/all command, and I found that the IPs are still the same for both LAN and Wireless adapters.

Then, how can I change the Pysical IP address for a LAN or Wireless adapter???

A man should convert his anger and sadness into strength to continue living in this life.

Monday, June 2, 2014 6:15 PM

Answers

• Your network adapter's mac address is only used within your local network. Your modem/router will not use your mac address on the internet, rather it will use it's own mac address. The same thing will occur when your data is routed by your ISP.

So, don't worry about it.

Why would you be getting banned ?
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:01 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 9:40 PM

All replies

• The physical address is also known as the MAC address (or Media Access Control address).

This is not an IP address.

The MAC address is hard coded into the network adapter and it is unique. Every network adapter ever made supposedly has a unique MAC address - just like a fingerprint.

There are ways to change or spoof the mac address but why would you bother?

Read more about physical (mac) addresses here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Read about mac spoofing here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing
    Monday, June 2, 2014 6:32 PM
  • Do you not think I will be banned by my physical address of my working network adapter when I am banned at some forum or community? This is why I am asking you how to know to change the Physical address.

A man should convert his anger and sadness into strength to continue living in this life.

Monday, June 2, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Your network adapter's mac address is only used within your local network. Your modem/router will not use your mac address on the internet, rather it will use it's own mac address. The same thing will occur when your data is routed by your ISP.

So, don't worry about it.

Why would you be getting banned ?
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:01 AM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Thanks a lot, I learnt something from this bad life that the strongest one does what he wants for the weakest one, thus, I think that some people ban some others without reasonable reasons, thus, I would know how to avoid banding me at least for a while until I give my complaint to the moderators who are good at that forum that I would be banned at.

• Edited by cooperator Monday, June 2, 2014 10:14 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Thanks a lot,

I did not know if you would be interesting to answer me or not

I have tried testing the speed of internet connection while in my home, in a city inside my governorate by a website testing the speed of internet connection, and I found this result (screen shot below).

I checked out that the IP is different from the other testing while I am in another location(city inside my governorate).

This is the result of testing speed of internet connection while I am connected to my wireless router in my home, which is in a city inside my governorate.

And this is the result of testing the speed of internet connection while I was connected to another wireless router  in another city other than where my home is located, but it is located in the same governorate as my home city is located.

My questions are as follows:

First: Why are the results different from each other?

Second: What does PING mean?

Finally: regarding IP,  what does this IP indicate and refer to? (What is the IP shown in the result of  testing the speed of internet connection for?
    I have been banned from some forum, and whenever I tried to log in or even registered again while connected to my wireless router, I found that I was still banned.

Thus, I thought that I wouldn't be banned if I tried to login or register to that forum while I was connected to another wireless router located in another city other than where I live. But, I found that I was still banned.
    Also, I have tried to login or register at that forum I banned from while I was connected from another wireless router and from another computer other than mine. But, I was still banned.

Thus,  I would be still asking you why this has been going on. If I were banned from that forum by the IP of my country ISP, then everyone living in my country would be banned as well.

I hope you will understand me.

• Edited by cooperator Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:25 PM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:13 PM