none
DPM 2010 and SQL 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does the DPM truncate logfiles from the SQL if the database is on full mode?

And if the database been changed from Simple to Full does DPM recognize that change?

// Laith.

• Moved by MarcReynolds Friday, March 4, 2011 1:21 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Yegor,

As it seems that this script will remove all old recovery points without specifying a specific recovery point.

I ran

$ds = Get-Datasource –DPMServerName [dpmservername]

$rp = Get-RecoveryPoint $ds[5]

Remove-RecoveryPoint $rp[2]

And i left only with one recovery

And still when i add it it gives me the same error

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I was force to delete the Protected member from the inactivated group. and delete replica data and then take the backup from the start.

It worked for me

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Friday, January 28, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Laith IT Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:56 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi

DPM should trucate a full database. If you have change the database from simple to full it could be a good idea to modify the protection group and just click through the guide if it isn't working.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Tjä Robert,

I can see some of the databases that the logfiles are not truncated and keep growing in size. While the Backup is running on daily basis.

Any suggestions?

// Laith

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Did you run the modify protection group wizard thorugh of that protection group holding your SQL databases?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Robert... I ran through the wizard and then ran fullbackup and the transaction log still the same.

When i ran the "create recovery point" i saw both options. Full and incremental.

Any suggestions?

// Laith.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi laith,

did you already try to uprotect and protect again?

see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808756.aspx

kind regrads,

Alex

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Alex... I unprotect and protect the database.

Ran the fullbackup... and still the same.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:21 AM
  • any clues in the sql servers eventlog?

is folder mentioned below in place?

When protecting SQL Server databases that are configured to use the full or bulk-logged recovery models, DPM creates a folder on the SQL Server that is being protected. This folder is created in the same location as the first log file (*.ldf) of each protected database.

This folder is used as a temporary store for logs during SQL Server log backup and SQL Server log restore by DPM. If DPM finds the folder missing, DPM will re-create the folder.

regards,

Alex

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:45 AM
  • As it seems that the backup is running.

I checked the SQL logs and archive and i saw that the backup is running.

I tested to run backup from inside SQL and it was ran succesffully and the log files kept the same size.

I think that the Backup is truncating but the free size in the log file are not released to the system. I wonder if that is possible?

What im going to test is to Shrink the log file and see what is the size.

// Laith.

Friday, January 21, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi Laith!

If your database was in the "Full" or "Bulk-logged" recovery model at the time of the creation of protection (when you started to protect the databases with DPM) your databases will be truncated since thoses recovery models will use transaction logs.

If, and as far as I understand, you still have the problem that the transactionlogs won't truncate and keep on growing please verify this:

1. Dubble check that your databases is in the supported recovery model (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808756.aspx). You preform this task on the SQL server not DPM.
    2. Verify that there's no local backup operations on the SQL server, if there are, turn them of.
    3. Run through the protectino wizard for the protection group
    4. If the problem still persists stop the protection of the protection group that the database resides in and recreate the protection group.

Get back with info regarding your progress.

Good Luck

BR

Robert Hedblom

Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Hi Robert,

1. The database support recovery model.

2. There is no local backup.

3. I ran through the protection wizard.

4. I stopped the protection.

5. Ran the backup from Inside the SQL and DPM and run Shrink database and still the same.

I checked the Log files and the avaialable disk space now is 11% while i started with 80%.

Do you know why the SQL logfiles does not truncate after the backup?

// Laith.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Modify protection group: Lju failed:

Error 31224: M\WebDB01 has recently been migrated. You cannot migrate M\WebDB01 again until the recovery points on the previous replica volume are available.

I removed the protection group and i'm trying to add it one more time... But its not working.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi Yegor,

As it seems that this script will remove all old recovery points without specifying a specific recovery point.

I ran

$ds = Get-Datasource –DPMServerName [dpmservername]

$rp = Get-RecoveryPoint $ds[5]

Remove-RecoveryPoint $rp[2]

And i left only with one recovery

And still when i add it it gives me the same error

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I was force to delete the Protected member from the inactivated group. and delete replica data and then take the backup from the start.

It worked for me

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Friday, January 28, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Laith IT Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:56 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Well back to the same old problem.

The DPM still not truncating the logfiles. And i've already done what you have been suggested above.

Any ideas?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:31 AM
  • How is the protection group configured?  Is it set up to synchronize right before recovery point, or do you have it set to do syncs every 15-30 minutes and then do express fulls at certain points?
    Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi Laith,

DPM supports two types of backups for SQL databases that have recovery-model as 'Full' - Express Full and Incremental backups. Express ful backups are VSS based optimized backups and incremental backups are SQL Log backups. The Express Full backups Do Not truncate logs. Log truncation happens as part of the Incremental (Log) backups.

What does your backup configuration look like? Have you configured both express full and incremental backups for the concerned database? If you have selected incremental backups and still logs are not getting truncated - can you please look up the eventvwr on SQL Server for any failed Log backup events?

Thanks

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Sorry for being late to answer i was on leave.

I have a SQL database that i sync with it every 4 hours and running express full backup 06:30 and 18:30

I've checked SQL server for log backup events and each and every backup was running succesfully and without any problems.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:06 AM