Windows 7 Start Menu Broken - Some Clicks Ignored RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've just been assigned a new PC, Windows 7 Pro x86 and the start button is not functioning correctly. For some items I click and it is ignored - well not ignored, the menu goes away like it it is going to happen but the thing I asked to happen never does.

Some examples:

- None of the windows Quick Launch callout menu's work from the start button menu for windows applications, e.g. recently accessed "Remote Desktop" items, "Getting Started" quicklinks - however Excel recent items work from the same mechanism

- r-click "Run as Administrator" from any of the items listed on the main Start Button menu (pinned or not) - however finding the same program in "All Programs" and r-click "Run as Administrator" does work

- If pinned an application to the Taskbar (and it isn't running), Shift & r-click - "Run As User" or "Run as Administrator" don't work (however interestingly: "Open File Location" does in the same list)

Is there a way to re-install this component or analyse this issue any further to try to find the cause? What could be interfering with explorer here?

Thanks for any help, suggestions or just emotional support! :)

(PS: I've tried creating a new local user and the problem exists with them also, eliminating a strange profile or (I think) domain policy)
    Friday, August 19, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers