Getting In-Place Archive folder to show in Outlook (using Outlook from Office 365 Business Premium) RRS feed

• Question

• A user was set up with Outlook Home and Business 2016 and Exchange Online Plan 1. User was near 50GB storage allowance so I purchased a license for Exchange Online Archiving for Exchange Online and assigned it to the user.

Mail older than 2 years was then automatically archived to the newly created In-Place Archive folder. The folder was accessible via OWA but not Outlook. On further investigation I learned that only certain editions of Outlook support In-Place Archive, Home and business not being one of them.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Outlook-license-requirements-for-Exchange-features-46b6b7c5-c3ca-43e5-8424-1e2807917c99?CorrelationId=185cf2ce-9cd7-43bc-877e-0094d1200f1f&ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ

I then purchased a license for Office 365 Business Premium, assigned it to the user and unassigned the original Exchange Online Plan 1 license.

Next, from the user's PC I logged into the user's Office 365 portal and installed Office 2016.

Note that Office Home and Business was currently installed so the Office 365 Business Premium installation was essentially done on top of that. Everything seemed to go fine and the Office software is correctly associating with the user's Office 365 account, however the In-Place Archive folder still is not showing in Outlook. Is this a matter of uninstalling Office altogether and reinstalling or is there possibly a quicker resolution? I'd rather avoid uninstall/reinstall if possible.

Friday, December 8, 2017 3:51 PM

Answers

• It's a different SKU and thus the Office binaries are different. No way getting around this expect from removing Office and replacing it with the version downloaded from the O365 portal (and activated with the user's credentials).
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, December 11, 2017 1:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by cmcfarling09 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:05 AM
    Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:15 PM

All replies

• I have had this scenario come up before with a few different clients and the answer was to uninstall and reinstall.  I am not aware of any simpler solution at this point. 

It would be nice though if the new license assignment and authentication would allow the local software to update to the version of software that is assigned.
    Friday, December 8, 2017 4:18 PM
  • It's a different SKU and thus the Office binaries are different. No way getting around this expect from removing Office and replacing it with the version downloaded from the O365 portal (and activated with the user's credentials).
    • Marked as answer by cmcfarling09 Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:05 AM
    Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:15 PM
  • Yep, uninstall/reinstall resolved it.
    Monday, December 11, 2017 3:18 PM
  • Great, thanks for your update and sharing.
    Please help to mark the useful reply as answer. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:48 AM