Sharing a building blocks custom template - Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am so confused and have tried absolutely everything I can find online.  

I have created a custom building blocks template and have saved it (I think correctly) within the building blocks folder (C:\user folders\appdata\roaming, etc).  My understanding was that any template saved here would appear within the autotext gallery in any Word document, not just the original.

However, no luck - my building blocks don't come up at all except when I am in the original template.  I got around this by making the template a global template and now I have lovely autotext entries available in any Word document - very happy.

Now my problem is how to share this with other users in the office?  I have seen so many references to adding a shortcut to their Word startup folder, but as this template is stored on my C: drive, I am having trouble understanding how this will work.  Surely the shortcut must come from a folder on the shared server, not my C: drive??  If so, how do I get this template to point from C: drive to server to others' startup folders??  Is that a step too far and likely there will be corruptions along the way?

Thanks so much.  Appreciate any advice.  

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The custom building blocks are stored in one of three templates:

• Word's building blocks template, Building Blocks.dotx.
    • Word's basic document template, Normal.dotm.
    • Any custom template you might specify.

In my view, I recommend you share the Word's building blocks template, Building Blocks.dotx. You need to share it with a server folder. The other users use workgroup templates method to access it.

For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/924460

Step by steps wizard:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/share-custom-word-building-blocks-with-anyone/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:07 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The custom building blocks are stored in one of three templates:

• Word's building blocks template, Building Blocks.dotx.
    • Word's basic document template, Normal.dotm.
    • Any custom template you might specify.

In my view, I recommend you share the Word's building blocks template, Building Blocks.dotx. You need to share it with a server folder. The other users use workgroup templates method to access it.

For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/924460

Step by steps wizard:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/share-custom-word-building-blocks-with-anyone/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Proposed as answer by George123345 Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by George123345 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:07 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:13 AM
  • I found the easiest way to share your Building Blocks.dotx file is to attach it to each document that you want to have access to it.  In Word select:

File; then:

Options; then:

Add-ins; then:

Scroll down to "Manage" and select "Templates" and then "Go"

In the Document template box attach the Building Blocks.dotx file from the location where it is saved.

Enter "OK"

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:14 PM