Providing CEWP with additional functionalities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to display some rich text information in the site home page, which work fine with Content Editor Web part. But the challenge is to allow users from particular SharePoint group to edit/ format the information bypassing all the edit web part steps. Users who will be editing the data here are business users and do not want them to go thru the steps to edit page, then the web part and then click on the 'Rich Text Editor' button etc. This is more like a message board web part/ functionality, where only specific people can write/ edit/ format data.

I know that this could be achieved by developing a custom web part (although it has its own challenges), but I'm trying to achieve this thru javascript or OOB web part/ functionality. Any ideas on how to achieve this? or any known OOB web that provides this functionality?

Thanks Arut

• Edited by arutjothi Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:37 AM

Answers

• Depends how easy you want to make things.  You could for example create a list with a multi line text field in it, add your welcome text in that and then on your front page, add the list and remove everything you dont need to see from the view.  If a user wants to change it, they click on the text and it will take them to the edit item page.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you look at "Noteboard" web part???

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Shekar,

My site is hosted in MOSS 2007. Noteboard web part comes only with SharePoint 2010. Anyways, that doesn't exactly match my requirement.

Thanks Arut

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:34 AM
  • An easier way might be using the content query web part.  You could use that on a page to get the latest blog post or wiki post and display on your page.  To change the text the users can easily amend the wiki page etc.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I had thought of similar option earlier (using a list view web part and content editor web part in the same page, where in cewp is audience targeted and will directly lead them to the edit page of the list item that holds the display data. Also, the list view web part would be modified thru SharePoint designer to display only the message). But you suggestion requires some additional work for the business user to edit the data. Hence, I'm considering these options as a last resort.

What I'm trying to actually achieve is to allow the users to edit the display data on a single click of a button or edit link, preferably using OOB solutions/JavaScript/JQuery (Basically not to go for a server control or web part). 

Thanks Arut

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Depends how easy you want to make things.  You could for example create a list with a multi line text field in it, add your welcome text in that and then on your front page, add the list and remove everything you dont need to see from the view.  If a user wants to change it, they click on the text and it will take them to the edit item page.

Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:14 AM