OneCare and Morro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all—as part of changes in security I heard some time ago now that Morro is replacing Windows Live OneCare (WOC) and I cautiously applaud the decision.  I live in Australia which is a small market on the world stage but in the past was invited to participate in the betas for WOC.  I am concerned that the features of “Performance Plus” and “Backup and Restore” which are extraordinary well executed and also startup and problem fixing such as clearing the printer queue will not be found anywhere else such as Win 7 (Action Center).  Is it possible to get any feedback on all of this?—Best, Peter

Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• At this time, the only official information related to your inquiry can be found here:

Microsoft Announces Plans for No-Cost Consumer Security Offering:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/nov08/11-18NoCostSecurityPR.mspx

Improving Global Access to Core PC Protection:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2008/Nov08/11-18AmyBarzdukasQandA.mspx

Carey Frisch
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Thanks Carey--I appreciate the links but I knew about these announcements.  Since I posted this thread, I got a trojan through Windows Live Messenger and was simply mortified that in all the years I have had a computer (23 years) I have NEVER had a virus.  FYI I have included some of the response and my comments.  I really think it is time for Microsoft to move on all this:

From: Microsoft Customer Support [mailto:DSKCS.MCLT.00.00.EN.NCO.QUE.AU.T01.SPT.00.EM@css.one.microsoft.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, 18 March 2009 4:03 AM
    To: pahollow@hotmail.com
    Subject: RE: SRX1096808716ID - Windows Live Messenger Abuse:Spam/Spim/Unsolicited Ins

Hi Peter,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Abuse Support. My name is Anselmo and I'll be glad to assist you with your concern.

Based on your mail, I understand that you received a link to a ____ website from one of your contacts. Now, your account is automatically sending unsolicited instant messages with links to ____ websites to your contacts. I understand why this would be a cause for concern. Please know that I'll do the best I can to help you with this matter.

Peter, we appreciate that you report this to us. It is possible that your account/computer has been infected by virus. Just to give you heads up, a new Messenger Trojan has been discovered. Windows Live Messenger users that are infected by this virus will send a message to their contacts which sometimes has links/zipped files. This links/zipped files will contain other executable files that when executed will infect user's computer. Other links requires you to sign in your username and password or any other personal information that could hack your account.

[Peter A Hollow] I use Windows Live OneCare and I am stunned that this virus was not picked up by it.  I have an urgent request and that is to release the replacement of OneCare codenamed Morro immediately to test this.  My subscription is due for renewal and given that this has happened I am hesitant to renew my subscription $99AUD for 3 months!!

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Moreover, please provide us the exact links so that we could forward them to our Product Team to be included in the list of blocked links in Messenger.

[Peter A Hollow] Yes as follows:

Peter A Hollow says:

Give a chick the best...

http://____-Penetration.com/orgasm.php

Peter A Hollow says:

...Chat to me  

http://pahollow.Wild-Pies.com/adultchat.php

I also think that these links may be randomised as you can see there are 4 totally different links.

To further help you with this matter, we need to reset your password. To do this, please follow these steps:

Note: There are different ways to reset or change a password. You can either change it through your secret question and secret answer or through your alternate e-mail address.

1. Visit http://account.live.com.

2. Click "Sign in with a different account."

3. Enter the ID, and then click "Forgot your password."

4. Follow the steps in the wizard to reset your password.

[Peter A Hollow] I have done this.

If you need help resetting your password because you cannot remember your secret question and answer, contact Windows Live ID support. To do this, visit http://support.live.com, and then select Windows Live ID.

After you successfully reset your password, update your settings for added security purpose. To do this, please follow these steps: 

1. Clear all stored sign-in credentials from the main sign-in window by following the steps below.

2. In the main Messenger sign-in window, select an e-mail address from the E-mail address drop-down list.

3. Click Forget Me, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion. Repeat steps b and c for each address in the list.

4. Enter your sign-in name and password that was verified on the Windows Live ID site and then click "Sign-in"

[Peter A Hollow] What do I tell everyone who has been contacting me over receiving these messages?

If this information does not resolve or apply to the issue that you have submitted, please reply to this e-mail and include any additional information that you feel may be helpful in resolving your issue.

You are a valued customer to us that is why our goal is to provide you the best customer service in Windows Live Messenger. Acquiring resolution to your problem is our top priority.

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Abuse Support. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Anselmo

Windows Live Messenger Abuse Support

• Edited by Juke Chou Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:20 AM PCsafety center update
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:47 PM