none
Secondary DPM server with no network access to protected server - should it work? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a secondary DPM server (DPM2) which is protecting the file system of an untrusted server (SQL1) from the primary DPM server (DPM1).

However, when I try to protect the SQL databases on SQL1 from DPM1 to DPM2 I get an error (host SQL1 is unreachable) when configuring the protection because DPM2 has no direct network connectivity to SQL1.

Is it possible to configure secondary protection in this scenario?

Thank you.

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:03 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Friday, December 9, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I didn't follow you in your description in the post, but based on title alone - no it won't work.  The Secondary DPM is designed to take the place of the primary DPM server should it go down. In order to assume that role, it has to be able to communicate to the protected servers.  Secondary protection won't work if there is no connectiviry to the protected server.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:58 AM