Can't uninstall Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• While setting up server 2012 standard for remote desktop services, I mistakenly installed Remote Access. Once I realized the error I installed Remote Desktop Services and go them working successfully. However, now I am unable to uninstall remote access and this is causing issues with remote desktop services. Every time the server reboots, RDS loses the certificate and I have to be on-site to manually put it back. This is an issue when an update causes a reboot.

In my attempt to uninstall Remote Access, it tells me I can't because "VPN in configured". So from powershell I run remove-vpnconnection and I'm prompted for a connection name. Huh? I know nothing about Remote Access. But my guess is that the local server certificate was configured for it automatically. So I just want to uninstall Remote access. But I can't until I remove the VPN configuration. I can't remove the VPN configuration without knowing the name of it apparently. So how do I get the name of if? ALso, if there's other data I'm going to be asked for in order to delete this VPN configuration so I can uninstall remote access, I will definitely need to be enlightened on that. Thanks.

-Carl

Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:47 AM

Answers

• Well, I got RDP through the RD Gateway to keep the certificate by going into NPS and setting up an SSTP VPN using the same certificate used by the RD Gateway. That has RD Gateway working as desired with no issues now, as it no longer "loses" the certificate after a reboot. So the client has decided to follow my advice of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and leave well enough alone. Since the only port open on the firewall is 443 and a secure connection is "required" for that port on the firewall, the client is happy, and I'm happy for them.

I guess one good thing is that if he ever needs a VPN connection in the future, it's already there and it's a secure SSTP one too.

• Marked as answer by Carl1959 Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:43 AM
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:43 AM

All replies

•  Can't uninstall Remote Access

What happens when you try? (exact text of any errors might be helpful)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 2:17 AM
  • It figures. I've been working on this all weekend prior to posting the above. Then 30 minutes after I posted it, something "clicked" and I remembered.

Basically, in the Routing and Remote Access management console, I right-clicked the server and selected "Disable Routing and Remote Access". Then in the Network Policy Server I had to delete the two policies for RRAS. Then after a server restart I was able to uninstall Remote Access with no issues.

So this worked flawlessly on a 2016 Standard Server. Not working on the 2012 Standard server. About halfway through the removal process it errors out with "the reference assembly could not be found" and aborts the uninstall.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:15 AM
  • I'd try repairing system and servicing corruption by running;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:32 AM
  • I'm presently 30 miles away from the 2012 server. But since I've got the RDG all set up and working now, can I do this via a remote connection through RDP? I ask, because if not I really don't want to make the 30 mile drive today, since the client's network absolutely must be working for them on Monday morning. I'll have to back burner this until the next 3-day weekend, which won't be until Christmas.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Either way should be fine.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 1, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Well, I got RDP through the RD Gateway to keep the certificate by going into NPS and setting up an SSTP VPN using the same certificate used by the RD Gateway. That has RD Gateway working as desired with no issues now, as it no longer "loses" the certificate after a reboot. So the client has decided to follow my advice of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and leave well enough alone. Since the only port open on the firewall is 443 and a secure connection is "required" for that port on the firewall, the client is happy, and I'm happy for them.

I guess one good thing is that if he ever needs a VPN connection in the future, it's already there and it's a secure SSTP one too.

• Marked as answer by Carl1959 Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:43 AM
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:43 AM