none
Permissions to view projects RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have a Sharepoint 2010 and Project Server 2010 environment up and working, that was set up before me.  I'm now trying to finish the setup of it and have our Project Managers actually start using it.

With that said, I can't seem to figure out how to have people with Team Members permissions able to see either Project Center or My Works\Tasks.  If I push them up to the Team Leads group they can then see both areas (confined to what they are assigned to).  I've tried replicating the few differences between the two groups, one by one, to Team Members.  After waiting for the queue jobs to finish it never allows that ID to view those two areas.

Does anyone know what specific permissions are required to view those?  As far as I can tell our Team Members & Team Leads groups are set to the default permissions.

Travis

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:04 PM

Answers

• Two things:

1) In a typical implementation, I would add the Team Members to the My Organization category but limit the security so they can see, not edit projects.  You would need to see what categories they are in, and the permissions within each category.

2) Since you inherited the implementation, there's no guarantee that the security has been configured cleanly.  You can download the 2007 View Effective Rights Tool which kind of/more or less works with 2010.  That helps you figure out what permissions are/are not applied.  Note that you have to run it under an account that can access the Published database - which is typically done on your server.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Marked as answer by Travis-H Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:45 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:44 PM

All replies

• Two things:

1) In a typical implementation, I would add the Team Members to the My Organization category but limit the security so they can see, not edit projects.  You would need to see what categories they are in, and the permissions within each category.

2) Since you inherited the implementation, there's no guarantee that the security has been configured cleanly.  You can download the 2007 View Effective Rights Tool which kind of/more or less works with 2010.  That helps you figure out what permissions are/are not applied.  Note that you have to run it under an account that can access the Published database - which is typically done on your server.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Marked as answer by Travis-H Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:45 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:44 PM
  • That seems to have done it.  Thanks.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:45 PM