Shared Room (Resources) Mailbox Calendar on iPhone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I think I've hit a brick wall with this one. I have two test accounts in Microsoft Exchange called "Tiger" and "Zebra". They are both connected to a Room (Resources) Mailbox called "RoomTest". In Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 I can see the calendar perfectly as both accounts, and adding the room bookings works as expected.

Now the problem is when I try to use the calendar in iOS, when I add an Exchange account, in this case "Zebra", to the client's iPhone they can see the calendar for "Zebra" but not the shared room calendar called "RoomTest".

Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Friday, January 11, 2019 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

We created another Room account and then in AD enabled it as an account that can be logged in. This seems to have fixed the issue. Interestingly, I see no difference between a User account and a Room account that has been login-enabled except that Exchange identifies it as a Room account still.

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Monday, January 14, 2019 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Fogerty Monday, January 14, 2019 8:58 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 12:59 AM

All replies

• >>> They are both connected to a Room (Resources) Mailbox called "RoomTest".

How?

You're using the native client in iOS or Outlook for Mac?  I'd very seriously doubt that the native client would support automapping, which is what Exchange and Outlook use to link rooms to which you have full rights.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, January 11, 2019 1:38 AM
  • >>> They are both connected to a Room (Resources) Mailbox called "RoomTest".

How?

Hi Ed,

Created "Tiger" and "Zebra" in AD as Users.

Created mailboxes in Exchange Server 2010 for "Tiger" and "Zebra"

Created Room Mailbox "RoomTest" in Exchange Server 2010.

Right-clicked "RoomTest", selected Properties > Resource Policy > Add... > Added users "Tiger" and "Zebra".

Logged in as Zebra into a Terminal Server, set up Outlook, added Room mailbox "RoomTest" to Calendar.

Added booking into RoomTest's calendar.

Logged out of "Zebra" and logged in as "Tiger", set up Outlook, added Room mailbox "RoomTest" to Outlook. Can see "Zebra" changes.

For good measure I've also given "Tiger" and "Zebra" Full Access Permissions, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything in the "RoomTest" Calendar.

On the end user's iPhone 8 with all the latest patches I've added "Zebra" as an email user for the default iPhone app, which shows the "Zebra" mailboxes and calendars, but no Room (Resources) Mailbox "RoomTest".

Adding the Outlook for iPhone app and adding Zebra, I also can't see the "RoomTest" mailbox.

Friday, January 11, 2019 2:38 AM
  •  

I recommend that you post your question in an iOS forum to see if that app supports automapped mailboxes.  I suspect that it doesn't.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:48 AM
  • Hi Ed,

We created another Room account and then in AD enabled it as an account that can be logged in. This seems to have fixed the issue. Interestingly, I see no difference between a User account and a Room account that has been login-enabled except that Exchange identifies it as a Room account still.

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Monday, January 14, 2019 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Fogerty Monday, January 14, 2019 8:58 PM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 12:59 AM
  • I'm glad you've found a workaround.

Monday, January 14, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Thanks for your help Ed :)
    Monday, January 14, 2019 8:59 PM
  • You're welcome.  Please feel free to vote responses as helpful as appropriate.

Monday, January 14, 2019 10:52 PM