Exchange ActiveSync Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have an environment with ActiveSync running on an Exchange 2007 CAS Server being proxied by ISA 2006. All systems are fully patched, Exchange has SP3 installed on it and is functioning properly (except this issue). Between the hours of 10PM and 12AM every night all users are disconnected from their ActiveSync accounts for no reason. I have reviewed all Event Logs and IIS logs to find no information about why this could be happening. The users get the following error:

Error: There has been a change made on your server that requires you to re-Synchronize all items on your device. All changes made since your last successful sync will be lost. Do you wish to continue? “

Support Code :0x8088301

Once they push a resync everything works without issue. The only thing that seems to be running is a full OS backup prior to the problem happening, I have requested that the backup be paused for the next few nights to see if that helps. Can anyone think of any other reason that this might be happening or better yet have a fix for the problem?

Thanks,

Jorge

Jorge R. Diaz PMP, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA Sr. Microsoft Consultant Planet Technologies, Inc.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Jorge,

I doubt it was caused by the third party software.

There is a known issue with running Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics (RTM version) against an Exchange 2007 SP3 server,  it can cause the sync state to become corrupt. This command can be run manually in a client with RTM console version installed, as well as some third party software, just like Spotlight for Exchange. Once you upgraded the Management Console on the Spotlight server the issue should no longer occurred.

I would suggest you double check the third party applications.

Thanks,

Elvis

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:16 AM

All replies

• A full OS backup shouldn't be required for an Exchange server.
    Are you also doing an Exchange aware backup?
    My instinct is that the backup is touching something it shouldn't do and this is upsetting ActiveSync or Exchange.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP. http://blog.sembee.co.uk , http://exbpa.com/
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Simon,

That is also thought so I had them stop the backups and the problem continued. We found one issue with the 'allow inheritable permissions' box being unchecked in ADU&C which I know can cause this issue. We tried a workaround to keep that box checked, but it unchecks itself each night. I am going on site tomorrow to contact Microsoft unless anyone has any further suggestions.

Thanks,

Jorge

Jorge R. Diaz PMP, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA Sr. Microsoft Consultant Planet Technologies, Inc.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Something must be deselecting that option, probably third party or poor replication. I haven't seen Windows deselect it on its own.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP. http://blog.sembee.co.uk , http://exbpa.com/
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

I doubt it was caused by the third party software.

There is a known issue with running Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics (RTM version) against an Exchange 2007 SP3 server,  it can cause the sync state to become corrupt. This command can be run manually in a client with RTM console version installed, as well as some third party software, just like Spotlight for Exchange. Once you upgraded the Management Console on the Spotlight server the issue should no longer occurred.

I would suggest you double check the third party applications.

Thanks,

Elvis

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Elvis,

Really? Does that command run on a regular basis on its own or is it only something that is initiated by a user/admin? Do you have a reference article for the known issue?

Thanks,

Jorge

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:22 PM
  • We found that command being run on several 3rd party applications against our SP3 devices including spotlight and something called BoxTone. We are in the process of updating it now and will let you know.

Thanks,

Jorge

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:55 PM