none
windows 8 Fresh install, not upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I currently have Vista, and am looking to do a format and fresh, full install of Windows 8, not upgrade from vista.  I am curious if the software found on the website will only upgrade what i have now, or if it will be a full, fresh install.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• You will need a Windows 8 "Full Version".  Example: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version)

Unfortunately, the Microsoft Store only offers the Upgrade Versions which require the qualifying Windows operating system (such as Vista), be installed.

Carey Frisch

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:02 AM
  • If you want to do a clean install of Windows 8, and no longer use Vista, just use the downloadable installer's option to make an ISO image instead of upgrading your current version. Burn that image to a DVD, boot from it, and then do a format and clean install from the DVD installer. This also works with the boxed upgrade.

Microsoft doesn't make it very clear that what they are selling online and in their stores is an upgrade, NOT a full version. You have to look for the fine print on the box or their website. I have spoken with both tech support and sales people at Microsoft who are confused about this. If you get the boxed version, look at the barcode label. It will have "VUP" in the product ID, that's an upgrade.

Note that if you install the upgrade, you are no longer licensed to use your copy of Vista on another PC. To do that you need the System Builder version. This is a licensing issue, read the EULA.

Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:06 PM