Can't login after MDT installation RRS feed

• Question

• After finishing the MDT installation for windows 10 (x64) wim image successfully, it seems that i can't login to the system, and when i try to enter any username, it doesn't accept it. Then I created a task sequence so that in the installation phase it will ask me the credentials to join the PC to the domain, but nothing happened. I also tried to change the OSDComputerName and set the name to be by serial number, again nothing has changed.

So any info in regard to how i can login to the PC after doing a windows installation by using MDT?

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:32 AM

All replies

• Unless you have added scripts to the task sequence to create additional accounts, the administrator account will be the only account on the system.  When you created the task sequence that deploys the image, it asked you for a password for the administrator account.  The password is stored in the unattend.xml file (under 7 - oobe system>Shell-Setup>Useraccounts>Adminstratorpassword but it is encrypted.  You can user powershell to decrypt it I believe (https://superuser.com/questions/408810/decrypt-sysprep-unattend-xml-user-password)

Monday, April 17, 2017 4:45 PM
  • There are too many moving parts within MDT to narrow this down, it could be, for example, that the machine is joining to a domain, and the Domain GP is renaming the local computer account.

IF you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log file to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:23 AM
  • It didn't ask me for a password when i created the task sequence, and I only added one script to the task sequence which was concerning the joining of a domain without necessary writing all the credintials down, but to instead show a window prompt that will appear after the installation phase to let me write the user and password to join the pc to domain (for security reason, but it didn't work).

This was the command that i used:
    Powershell Add-Computer -Domain "Domain Name.com" -credential Domain\{user}

And this is in rules in properties:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=NO
    SkipBitLocker=YES

:Set Computer Name at Deployment
    OSDComputerName=%serialNumber%

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:27 AM
  • Unfortunately, for security reason, I couldn't obtain the bdd.log, but I see what you getting at. and will try to have a  look at the bbd.log

The problem is everything is working fine now, but i can't login!, I used hiren boot to see the name, and i also entered through the CMD, and saw some accounts under Users like: User, Public and ADMINI~1, but also with no luck.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:31 AM

• Bump

I still haven't figured what the solution is to this issue.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 10:53 AM
  • Again, there are too many moving parts here to narrow down your issue. And you haven't provided basic information about your problem and/or environment. I have heard of problems with Windows 10 1703 around your issue, and the bdd.log file would document what environment you are running in, but I don't see that here. 

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:34 PM
  • My problem is that i can't log in to the pc after the MDT installation has finished, it seems there aren't any accounts name to be loged in to, and I tried many suggestions in the internet in how to join the pc to a domain or a workgroup, or adding a pc name (for security reason I'm not allowed to write a plain text of the username and password of the domain admin in the Rules tab in MDT), tried some powershell commands as well, but all the my doings were futile.

I am applying the MDT installation on Dell Optiplex 7040 (Windows 10, x64), thus i imported the needed drivers for that particular system.

Here is the the bbd log, and for security reason, i suppressed some information like server's ip. Hopefully we can find out the reason why i can't log in to the system.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqZB48SxGe0Egl0nZHPOOadPgYFm

Thank you.

Monday, June 19, 2017 7:47 AM
  • I don't understand the log file uploaded. Looks like it was initiated from Windows Server, but you are trying to install Windows 10. The process should be initated from WinPE.

Additionally, I don't see any attempt to log into the OS.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Thank you for the reply

I don't know what to do, because i believe i followed the procedure carefully on how to set up an MDT Installation, and I can see the windows 10 files in the CMD. But if that the case then how can i initiate it from the WinPE?

Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:35 AM
  • My problem is that i can't log in to the pc after the MDT installation has finished, it seems there aren't any accounts name to be loged in to, and I tried many suggestions in the internet in how to join the pc to a domain or a workgroup, or adding a pc name (for security reason I'm not allowed to write a plain text of the username and password of the domain admin in the Rules tab in MDT), tried some powershell commands as well, but all the my doings were futile.

I am applying the MDT installation on Dell Optiplex 7040 (Windows 10, x64), thus i imported the needed drivers for that particular system.

Here is the the bbd log, and for security reason, i suppressed some information like server's ip. Hopefully we can find out the reason why i can't log in to the system.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqZB48SxGe0Egl0nZHPOOadPgYFm

Thank you.

[I'm aware this was posted in June, but just came across it]

You don't need a domain admin account for MDT, ever. You just need a standard user account. All that account requires is full read\write to the particular deployment share and delegated as being able to join to the domain. No need for anything more, then putting the password in the rules tab is not as much of a problem. 

For the login issue, MDT uses the local administrator account always to finish it's task sequences. At a guess, something in your MDT task sequence>properties>OS info has not set the unattend.xml to enable the administrator account as part of setup. (although I think for MDT that enables in the configure scripts). 

If you're using a standard client task sequence, it should just enable it. You also shouldn't need a script to bind, as MDT will take care of that. 

Not sure why a new task sequence isn't asking you to input an admin password or not though. 

Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Thank you for the reply

I don't know what to do, because i believe i followed the procedure carefully on how to set up an MDT Installation, and I can see the windows 10 files in the CMD. But if that the case then how can i initiate it from the WinPE?

WinPE is just the interface when you PXE or UEFI network boot the machine. As long as you're booting off the litetouch wim file added in WDS, then you're booting inside the expected WinPE environment. 

The best MDT instruction I can point you to that might help you out, is BTNHD's video channel. The guy is really good, and clear. This is the one for default install of MDT (other videos get more detailed) but start here. It might jump start yours working. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m9AO_5L_8Y

Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Did you specify an Administrator password in your customersettings.ini? I don't see it in your post. You can see some of the properties here: https://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/lti-deployments-skipping-deployment-wizard-panes/
    • Edited by lytvinh Friday, October 13, 2017 6:05 PM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 6:04 PM