none
Master Project not updated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I started playing with Project Server 2007 and experience an issue, but first my situation:

• Project 01
    1. Task 01, Duration 5 days
    2. Task 02, Duration 10 days
    • Project 02
    1. Task 01, Duration 20 days
    2. Task 02, Duration 3 days

I uploaded the files to the server and created a third project, which should be used as master project - Project 00. In this project 01 and 02 are inserted via link (read and write). In 00 it is also defined that Task 02 (=Project 02) has Task 01 (=Project 01) as Predecessor. Having this published to the server it shows me also fine the total time.

I now opened Project 01 and amended the duration of Task 01 from 20 days to 200 days, published this and in the project center I see the extended duration in the gantt for this task, but project 00 still shows with the old duration. When accessing Project 00 via PWA and extending the task reflecting the project link to Project 02 I see the new duration.

Am I misusing something? I can see the new duration of Project 02 - Task 01 in the detail, but would also like to have the gantt bar of project 00 seeing as extended.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Philipp,

you are not misusing the system. What you see is caused by design.

After changing duration Task 01 of Project 01, the new duration saved and published with Project 01. But since you haven't opened and published your master Project 00 afterwards, this project can't display this new information. Project 00 is not yet updated, looking at Project 00 does only display information published with this project.

When you expand Project 01, however, actual information for Project 01 is retrieved from published and the new duration is displayed. This new duration will not be displayed until you re-open Project 00 and publish it.

Not sure if this does help?
    Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Philipp,

you are not misusing the system. What you see is caused by design.

After changing duration Task 01 of Project 01, the new duration saved and published with Project 01. But since you haven't opened and published your master Project 00 afterwards, this project can't display this new information. Project 00 is not yet updated, looking at Project 00 does only display information published with this project.

When you expand Project 01, however, actual information for Project 01 is retrieved from published and the new duration is displayed. This new duration will not be displayed until you re-open Project 00 and publish it.

Not sure if this does help?
    Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

thank you for the explanation. My question now is how to solve/bypass it? Or am I the only one who seems it is a bad behavior?

Regards

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

Publishing the project after any change is requirement by design, and its accepted as a great change after Project Server 2003 as one of the advantages of this requirement is to prevent to reflect half baked projects. PM can create the Project on the server and at the same time prevent the changes to be viewed by the users unless finalized, and the publish. It also provides more control to the PM to not to accept any change in the project by the users prior to their approval.

In case of Master projects, the same applies to the Master and the sub projects inside the master project. you have to publish the project after every change, and there is no by pass to it.

Hope this helps you.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

as I wrote (I marked it in bold now) and Khurram confirmed, you have to open your master project and publish it.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

In addition to Barbara and Khurram what they said is one option and the other option is to write a Macro that will automate Save and Publish of Master Projects or all projects in the EPM system.

Warm Regards Badal Ratra

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

just an addition from a process point of view:
    Assume you have a program with a program manager (your Project 00). There are several projects part of, each with an own project manager (Project 01, Project 02, ...).. Now a project manager changes a duration of his project, which will affect duration of the whole program. In the way Master Projects are defined, the program manager keeps control over his program, since he is in charge of either publishing his master project to accept the duration change or to talk to project manager with increased duration to take further steps.

So from my point of view it is no bad behaviour. I think this design does reflect common different responsiblities.

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

see your point and agree.. Thank you for teh feedback...

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:45 AM