none
Creating a report showing daily tasks on multiple projects by assigned team member RRS feed

• Question

• We use Project to create critical paths for a wide variety of projects within our team. I build a master project that contains all of the sub-projects and all the detail deliverables.

I want to create a report showing the tasks due each day of the week for each team member, for each sub-project.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• I would think that you could go into the master project and...

1) Navigate to the Resource Usage view
    2) Create a new group in the View tab.
    3) Group by Project, then by Finish Date (or Baseline Finish more likely).
    4) Set the interval for the Finish Date Grouping to Weekly (or Daily)

You may have to play with the settings a bit - maybe toggle the Group by
    Assignments option on/off - or try the same thing in the Task Usage view,
    but it should get you what you need.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:24 PM

All replies

• what format for the report,  you can use the built in project pro reports, who does what when with a date filter.  You can also use the BI center and create an excel report using the portfolio analyzer connection file. (that won't give you exactly what you want but it will get you close).
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:37 PM
  • The report format would best be in Excel for internal distribution (many of the team do not have Project). Found the "who does what when" report but I need to modify it. Because I have multiple sub projects, each with the same task deliverable (revision to concept etc.) I need to show the project and the task, the due date and the person. I don't know how to get that project title on each line beside the task. And I don't see how to add a date filter. And what does BI mean?

Sorry to sound obtuse but I am new to Project.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Perhaps this will work.  Create a project view in pwa.  Add the Project, start, finish and resource name fields. (If you want to be a bit fancy, you can create a custom field which contains the current date range and add that to the view).  Anyhow from within the pwa view, you have the option to export to excel.  You will end up with an excel sheet that has the following columns.  Indicator (not used for your purposes), project name, task name, start date, finish date, resource names.  each row will have 1 task.  Once it's in excel you can filter, sort etc.  I am looking to see if I can build it using the Business intelligence center which uses excel based reporting.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:20 PM
  • The way to do it within the BI center is to create an excel report, use the project server-project assignment data data connection. (it should be in the list of built in default connection files).  create a pivot table using that connection file as the source, the project name, task name, resource name field as well as various task start / finish types are available.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I would think that you could go into the master project and...

1) Navigate to the Resource Usage view
    2) Create a new group in the View tab.
    3) Group by Project, then by Finish Date (or Baseline Finish more likely).
    4) Set the interval for the Finish Date Grouping to Weekly (or Daily)

You may have to play with the settings a bit - maybe toggle the Group by
    Assignments option on/off - or try the same thing in the Task Usage view,
    but it should get you what you need.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:24 PM