none
Share Resourecs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In Resources Pool we have  "share resource " dialog box 

inside that we have "On conflict with calendar and resources information"

where i have a doubt about "pool takes precedence'' and ''sharer takes precedence''

can anybody explain the difference and usability about both.

Thanks

Anil Kumar Mahapatra Odisha ,India
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Anil,

Sorry! One should never believ what one reads but test it.

You are right, this is not how it works. With the pool and the sharers opê, in all files the same resource rate will be used at any one time - and it seems to be the one entered last :-) Only when you open pool and sharers, and there is a difference, may the pool take over the rates from a sharer or the reverse depending on the setting. Not what I expected after reading about it - sorry!

Greetings,

Monday, December 5, 2011 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A simple example to clarify this.

Suppose the resource John Doe in the resoruce pool has a rate of 60$/hr, but in one of the sharer files the same resource has a rate of 50$/hr. Then in that sharer file do you want the cost to be calculated based on 60$ ("Pool takes precedence") or 50 ("Sharer takes precedence")?

Greetings,

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Thank you Mr Jan

I want to know this case only we can observe in MS Project Server, not in Project in Project Professional?

Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

It's the reverse actually. This choice ONLY exists in Project Professional, NOT in Project Server

In a Project Server environment, Resources existing in the Enterprise resource pool cannot be modified locally, and resources not from the Enterprise resource pool ("Local Resources") by definition only use properties in teh file they are created in.

Greetings,

Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:48 AM
  • Thank you Mr. Jan

thanks for clarifying my doubt.

As you said before we can have different rates for resource pool & share file for same resources.

can you please help me out how I can do it MS Project Professional 2010. And can observe the difference between

pool takes precedence'' and ''sharer takes precedence''.

Monday, December 5, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hi Anil,

Sorry! One should never believ what one reads but test it.

You are right, this is not how it works. With the pool and the sharers opê, in all files the same resource rate will be used at any one time - and it seems to be the one entered last :-) Only when you open pool and sharers, and there is a difference, may the pool take over the rates from a sharer or the reverse depending on the setting. Not what I expected after reading about it - sorry!

Greetings,

Monday, December 5, 2011 4:05 PM