HOW TO RESET OR CLEAR ADMINISTRATOR AND USER PASSWORDS MANUALLY WITHOUT ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE RRS feed

• Question

• I do not know or had created a backup disk for my computer and cannot reset the password.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, August 30, 2010 2:38 PM Move to appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:06 PM

Answers

• If you did not create password reset disk, I'm afraid you won't be able to reset your admin password without additional software. Password reset tools exist. Some are free and some are commercial. Microsoft provides commercial tool that is available to customers covered by Software Assurance contract. This tool is available as a part of Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP). MDOP is also available to Technet Plus subscribers.

• Proposed as answer by Weslee db Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:20 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:22 PM

All replies

• If you did not create password reset disk, I'm afraid you won't be able to reset your admin password without additional software. Password reset tools exist. Some are free and some are commercial. Microsoft provides commercial tool that is available to customers covered by Software Assurance contract. This tool is available as a part of Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP). MDOP is also available to Technet Plus subscribers.

• Proposed as answer by Weslee db Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:20 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:22 PM
  • If it`s Windows 7 and you only used the wrong password 3 times:
    Boot your computer with a Windows PE. If you dont have one you can download WIAK from Microsoft (Windows PE is included).
    Than use a USB stick an make it bootable with diskpart
    Now you create a Windows PE with WAIK and copy it to the stick.
    Now you can boot with it.
    on commandprompt please type administrator /active and press return
    Now you must boot the computer in safed mode an activate the administrator.
    Now you can logon to windows.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:27 AM